Friday, December 07, 2007

Insanity?


I've heard the definition quite a lot on programs I watch/listen to lately...
"Insanity is continuing to behave in the same manner while expecting a change in results."

My heart sank a little, reading Hawk's comment about the loss of their little Pom. We've had discussions here at VK about events on the news that show we have strong emotions about our furry friends, both "K9" and "Fe-line".

DJ's comments about Michael Vick almost made me check to insure he hadn't booked a flight to Atlanta!
("Hello TSA?
Check DJ's baggage for weapons of Vick destruction, please!")

If you've owned a dog or cat, you've been down this road...

When we acquire that adorable kitten or puppy, we know up front that their lifespan probably means that (+-) 15 years hence we'll be in tears, and if our four legged family members live that long we're lucky... I wrote in this post about being so emotionally incapacitated I was glad I didn't have to go to work the night our 3 year old Dachshund was hit and killed. That pain was every bit as acute as if we had lost a human family member.

So I'll ask the question suggested in the title...
Knowing the pain we'll experience in fifteen years or so, are we insane to enter into the relationship with that kitten or puppy, particularly since just getting them settled into adult Dog/Cathood can sometimes be a pretty difficult task in itself?
Of course, I know the answer to this question... that's life, and the benefits of pet ownership FAR outweigh the negatives.

So I'll answer my own question here... YES, I'm insane!
I'm crazy about Lucy.

And family Hawkeye... know that we are SO sorry about the loss of your four legged family member!
I know that you know...
the pain diminishes, and the wonderful memories remain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr and Mrs Hawkeye, we are so very sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately, we experienced a similar loss two months ago. Afterwards, whenever I left home, it was difficult for me to return knowing my friend would not be waiting for me. When we bring a furry friend into our lives, they enrich it a thousand fold but we know in our hearts, eventually, we will have to experience the Ying and Yang of love.

GB - To answer your question; If sanity means living without our furry friends then Yes, we too gladly choose insanity. We have since found a kitty that lost it's owner, we knew it was the perfect fit. She needed us as much as we needed her, so we adopted her. Happily Insane Again!!

Purple Tabby said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Hawk. He had such a wonderful life with your family.

GB you are so right. Loving a pet is a guarantee to future heartbreak but there are few people who can resist (thankfully I don't know anyone who can!)

Pets also feel the grief of loss when things happen the other way ‘round.

My grandfather had a dog cleverly named Brownie. Brownie was born in the tool shed, out of Freckles and Beggar -- not exactly an elite pedigree. The day he learned to walk, he followed Dad.

In every picture taken of Dad during that time, Brownie is somewhere in the background. You might only see a feathery tail, or a blurred streak but they belonged to Brownie. When Dad had to go to town, Brownie waited by napping in the middle of the drive-way.

Dad died suddenly of a heart attack while working in the barn. A few months later, I remember one of my uncles taking Dad’s car to the shop.

Brownie saw the car leave and began to wait.

When it returned, he’s joy was heartbreaking. He barked, jumped, whirled around, raced back and forth between the car and the barn. This went on long after my uncle had come into the house. Still Brownie waited for his Master to get out of the car.

There was just no way to console him - no way to explain.

One of last pictures I have of Brownie is him sitting in the driveway, looking to the road,,, hoping and waiting. He lived about 8 more years, but he never stopped looking and waiting for Dad.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Hawkeye Here....GB, Cinders, & PT....Thank you so much for your kind words. Life without our dear little Pomeranian is quiet and the pain in my chest is still real. The tears stopped after 2 days. I am still a little lost. I forget and look for him still.

Your stories of your dear dachshund, Lucy, Brownie and TD's furry friends make me feel warm and fuzzy. You are all accomplished story tellers and I so need to hear these stories now.

Duncan would have fought to the death for me. He once chased off a huge, probably 150 pound dog who surprised Dunk and me as we were gardening one day. Dunkin chased him to our property line, the big dog with his tail down and running for all he was worth. Dunkin, all 4 pounds of him, barking and snarling and running at full speed. All the other dog had to do was step on him and Dunk would have been a goner. He was one proud dog as he came back to check on me where I had fallen down trying to chase him.

There will be no hound like my dear Dunkin. The picture of the red pom on the blog looks exactly like Dunkin when he was young. I really like that picture. Thank you GB

We were blessed to have Dunkin 14 years. Friends help you so much at a time like this. Thank you one and all! Tears again....
Love, Barb

Hawkeye said...

Where did you get that picture ? That's our Dunkin ! Nanook of the North.
Hawkeye