Saturday, December 08, 2007

R.I.P.

UPDATE:
See
here, it really isn't all that difficult to stay in touch!


Oh friends!
It is with a heavy heart and a tear-stained face that I bring your attention to our blogroll, and the terrible thing that has happened there!
It was with such great fanfare and promise that so many blogs there were introduced to life, then were neglected...
Yes, I'll say it...
NEGLECTED AND IGNORED!

Their care-givers failed to tend to their needs... failed to give them the nutrition and succor they needed to survive and thrive in this cruel world we share!
I'm ashamed and appalled.

I had SUCH great hopes for these literary infants.

But wait... There's still hope!
I checked in on
this one, and it received care and feeding within the last week!
And this blog appears to have had a minimal feeding three months ago... it STILL HAS A PULSE! (But it's very weak.)

Rise up, all you sterling, caring citizens! Express your indignation that these wonderful creatures, so bright and promising when born, have not been given the attention necessary to keep them from atrophying and dying!
Shout it out to your neighbors... shout it to the rooftops!

(I'll check now and then and remove the R.I.P. labels when the blogs are resuscitated.)

2 comments:

Purple Tabby said...

Ah Laddie, did ya not know that is the way of the world? Birth many so that at least a handful survive,,,, the strongest and the best. ‘Tis not a thing for concern. Rest and enjoy that which is before ye” (I’m listening to an Irish novel with a wonderful Irish narrator so I might have picked up a slight accent) Did ya not know that only a few have somethin’ to say that’s worth the time to listen? Boysadear, (sp) you top that list, GB. Aye, tis true. What you have to say is intelligent and so well written the ears of Joyce, Yeats and some other of them fine fellows must be perked! Write on and keep the beauty! That’s what Mr. Wilde would’ve bade ye.

Well, that’s enough of that! ;))
Change of topic
Thinking about Dec. 7th, Pearl Harbor and the recent VK trip to Hawaii makes me think about another book of interest. “Goodbye Darkness” by William Manchester, who you may know from his marathon-and-well-worth-the effort narrative history “The Glory and the Dream”, is about Manchester’s service as a young Marine in the Pacific in WWII. The author returns in 1978 to face down memories that have haunted him.

Since my Dad was a SeaBee in the Pacific (and I think TD’s Dad served in the Pacific as well) I wanted to know more about it and this book did not disappoint. Manchester re-visited many of the places y’all saw on your trip.

Another recent book “Protect and Defend” by Vince Flynn was a great listen. Flynn is kind of like a post 9/11 Tom Clancy --- the hero is larger than life, the author knows/understands a lot about military capabilities, understands and uses other languages and cultures to save the day, so to speak. The best part is that the Americans are smart, competent and only listen to CNN for grins.

As you know, I’m addicted to audio books so I have lots of recommendations. However, since I am probably the only one of us who actually enjoys hearing voices in her head, I’ll stop with those two.

Okay, as you were. I gotta finish sewing 3 presents, mail some cards, decorate a tree and finish the laundry. AND It's a school night, thou knows.

Purple Tabby said...

Just one more. "Boom!" by Tom Brokaw is very interesting. It's sort of a follow-up to "The Greatest Generation" and it's about us!

So many things that I had forgotten and so many more things that I didn't know about at all. Thoughtful, thorough and entertaining. Great stuff