Monday, December 17, 2007

Sarkes Tarzian

DJ mentioned him and tweaked a couple thoughts-
Steve B. and I used to bug my Mom to take us to the Channel 4 station on Bluff Road on Saturday afternoons to watch "Cowboy Bob Ellis", "Dick the Bruiser" and various other good guy/bad guy wrestlers record their matches for broadcast later in the week.
We'd get there early so we could get ringside seats, then we could watch to see how often we got glimpses of ourselves during the broadcasts of the matches.

His name itself is kind of magic, so I'm surprised I didn't investigate him as a kid. He apparently was instrumental in bringing FM radio to the attention of the general public.

When Mom and Dad moved to Lake Lemon, driving to their house resulted in my driving on Hillside Drive in Bloomington, past a large home surrounded by a tall stone fence. Imposing enough on it's face, what particularly made me take notice was the "cattle grate" running across the drive leading to the place. Why was it there?
Answer... to keep deer from leaving the grounds by way of that busy street... "Deer Park Manor" as it is called, is now a 41 acre Nature Preserve.

Some more information on the fascinating Mr. Tarzian and WTTV here. (Tallest structure in Indiana? I didn't know that!)

No comments: