Friday, January 04, 2008

At Vandy's Gym

DATELINE: VANDEMIER GYM
FRIDAY, DEC. 28, 2007
Center Grove HS vs Perry Meridian HS

A week ago we went to Center Grove High School to witness our first basketball game in years. The teams were pretty evenly matched, except that their center was only 6 ‘ 5” and our was 6” 8’. Perry Meridian led the first quarter and CGHS led the rest of the game. The final score was CGHS 62 AND PMHS 51. It was a good game.

I noticed a change in what I was used to in the crowd, cheerleaders, and halftime show. The Perry Meridian students number nineteen. The rest of the PMHS crowd were people more our age. The CGHS students probably numbered about 250, sat at the end together, behind the basket. The gym was full to the first level with mostly people around our age.

The cheerleaders no longer stand in front of the “cheer block” and lead cheers. There were 6 cheer leaders and 10 gymnasts for CGHS and 6 cheerleaders for PMHS. The gymnasts for CGHS would do back flips the length of the basketball floor during breaks in the game. This was rather alarming to me, as I felt there would be a crash together of these many bodies flinging so fast together. No crashes or falls in any of the 10 gymnasts.

I was a member of the Decatur Central Cheer Block in 1964. We had weekly practice and wore a blue reversible to gold short cape. We had felt “mittens”, again reversible to our school colors, blue and gold. This was an all female group, we numbered probably 200 to 250. We were loud and proud and we had so much fun! Did Center Grove have a Cheer Block?

The halftime show last week was wonderful! It was a mix of “Dancing with the Stars” and Gymnastics and ballet. Guys and Girls did some neat dance moves in unison, jumping like splits in the air and pirouettes. The guys were just as talented as the girls. The guys wore Christmas sweaters and jeans. The girls wore the same red and white monogrammed “Center Grove Dance Team” shorts outfits. Center Grove has some very talented students who I am sure are headed for theatre and dance careers.

I was a majorette from 1965 to 1967 at Decatur Central. We did halftime shows for basketball and football games. We worked all week on a routine and the shows were so much fun. I guess batons and majorettes are a thing of the past for high school, but not at college level. I know Purdue still has the “golden girls” baton twirlers, and we see them every year in the 500 Parade.

Mrs. Hawkeye

8 comments:

TwoDogs said...

Mrs. Hawkeye, As I remember, the Trojan cheering section was huge during our time in school. We did have a block of seats dedicated to them. I do not know if the seats were actually 'reserved', but if you were not 'part of the group', you would not want to sit there. The pep band alway sat just to one side of them and 'encouraged' them. And were they ever up to the challenge back then. Great School spirit! In the 60s, our gym was packed during the BB season. Of course, our Footballer's always started the school year off right. Had some great teams. Football Homecoming was the best and some great halftime shows with the band on the field. Our BB teams were always (back then and still) some of the best in the County and MidState. Our FB teams seem to really come into their own during our time also. We had great cheerleaders. I do not remember much in the way of floor covering tumbling, but alot of their routines involved forming a base and stacking on top. It was always fun watching that 'unfold'. I am sure that we had some great halftime shows. But... my halftime was spent circling the top of the gym 'socializing' and mingling. (HA! that's funny - can't you see me socializing and mingling???). The Fathers (and some Mothers) spent a good portion of the halftime outside smoking. When the game was on, though, it was all business and LOUD. We have a couple of cheerleaders and pep band members that should be listening in. Dial back to the 60 and let's hear from you!

Samarpan David said...

Mrs. Hawkeye,

Thanks for a wonderful report. I don't remember gymnasts but it sounds like a wonderful show and with very skilled athletes.

Seems there have been changes for the better, and I thank you for such a positive report.

You made my day!

Greybeard said...

As a member of the band until our Senior year, I second the observation that the gym was always packed and loud. It's also my recollection that in addition to the Gals Booster club, there was a Boys Booster club for a short period of time (1961?) They occupied the block of seats just south of the gals, and I think the recently departed Larry F. was a leader of that group.

Like TD (if in fact he was serious), after the half-time show with the band, I spent most of my time walking the circle at the top of the gym, seein' and bein' seen... checkin' to see if the opposing school's gals could compare to our home grown fillies. (They couldn't.)

I was somewhat surprised learning from Ferdy's (or was it someone else?) comment that our football program was relatively new when we got into High School... started about 1960? We sure hit the ground runnin'... our football team (with me a second-string defensive guard behind Art B.) was Champion of Johnson County our Senior year!

Question-
Our school spirit was always focused on "Center Grove".
For 12 years we attended school on the same grounds. What affect has de-centralizing the elementary and middle schools from the "Center" had on the way students feel about their school and their sports programs?

Hawkeye said...

We plan to go to another Center Grove basketball game on January 18th at 7:30 PM.

CGHS has a really good team and it was a very enjoyable game on 12-28. Our professional teams do not seem to play with the intensity we saw that night.

If anyone would like to meet us at this game, leave us a message or a post and we will make a plan.

No pep band on 12-28, but music was played over the PA in breaks.

Mrs. Hawk says….GB DCHS did have a pep band in my day also. The exuberance and intensity of the pep band really fired up the team as well as the pep block. I can still remember the bobbing instruments and excitement of the pep band! I think it was probably easier to be a cheer leader in our day with the pep band. Oh, this has been fun to think about!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, I think I remember an All-Male cheer block; especially during tourney time. "Ree Ree Ree, hit 'em in the knee; Rass Rass Rass, hit 'em in the other knee!", was a fond cheer for the guys....those deep,loud voices added momentum to questionable game calls.

We also had the Bargersville crew that sat next to the cheer block on the left...these guys were a quite vocal group and about 25-30 years old...Mr. V asked me to make them hold back on the language and comments to the referees....HA!

Bo

TwoDogs said...

I remember the Bargersville crew sitting left of the cheer block.. They sat on one side of the tunnel entrance and a more senior group from Bargersville sat on the other (west) side of the tunnel. Altho that group was a senior group, they were no less vocal. Great times.

Anonymous said...

I was a member of the "Booster Club" all 4 yrs in HS, and yes the seats were reserved. At the beginning of each year those that wanted to be in Booster Club came down to the gym and seats were assigned. Seniors in the first few rows, Juniors in the next few rows, etc. Each year, of course, we moved down and the New Seniors took up the first few rows, etc. And loud? You betcha!
I remember screaming so loud sometimes, I would be hoarse for a day or so. It was so much fun being in the booster club. I never missed a home game and sometimes went to the away games if my Dad was driving the bus there.

I do remember the Boys Booster Club too, though a smaller group, they were very loud, also.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm just dropping by to make an announcement. I don't see a contact link so I'll just leave a message. I noticed somebody in this Blog linked to my Al Green's web page a while back. I just expanded the site and gave it its own URL:

www.algreensdrivein.com

We have lots of new information about the "secret" basement tunnels! Amazing but true. Also new first hand recollections and plenty of new graphics. Also, hear an audio of Belle Green taking an order! Unbelievable.

In my work with architects and planners, I've developed an interest in urban design and development so I try to offer some analysis from that angle.

So please drop for a visit.

Pete Tocco