Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The "Suds"

Bear with me please... I just got home from a night shift and I'm a little dangerous.
Nap time comin' just after I publish this post.


Suds...
Anyone remember a classmate with that nickname? I certainly do. (I'm bringin' the Tequiza with me, guy!)
If you've not been to Ron and Sheryl VanLandingham's Whiteland Barn site in a while, you've missed the fact that "The Suds" is up for sale. Go here and then click on the words
"Private Placement offering-Business Plan" at the bottom of the page for details. I have only taken a quick look, but it appears shares are being offered for $500, and the restaurant would be open on weekends for their regular cruises. Again, I'm speakin' off the cuff here, but if, (and that's a big IF), you are buying a share of the real estate there, wouldn't that property be of value to someone in the future? I think it might be a low-risk, fun way to participate and keep the place open just for the "Cruisers"! Take a look and see what you think.


Thinkin' about the Suds brought back a sad memory. Five or so years ago I came home and met Ron S. at the Suds Saturday night to "go amongst 'em" and enjoy the cars and participants. While we were walking around a guy came up and shook Ron's hand, then turned to me...
"You don't remember me, do ya?"
"No, I'm sorry... I sure don't"
"Well I sure remember you. I'm Alan Padgett."

Alan had built a neat roadster and was rightfully proud of it. The three of us walked around it, chatting about it's specs and how Alan had built it. When Ron and I walked off, I promised Alan I'd see him again in the future.

Later that week Ron called.
"I've got bad news."
Three days or so after our visit at the cruise, Alan had left the road in his hotrod and struck a utility pole... Just that quick, he was gone.
Another reminder that we need to be enjoying one another's company while we can, folks!

And while I'm at it, let me take you down another sad path...
When I got home from Viet Nam I was "up on two wheels" a lot. One of the first things I did when I got home was buy a new motorcycle, and I had to have the fastest bike being produced. I bought three new bikes in a row, ending up with a Kawasaki 750 that would go from Zero to 60 m.p.h. in 3.2 seconds! Scary as Hell... I loved the thing.

One weekend I was home from Savannah, GA on the bike and one of my sister's classmates, Gary Bailey, drove in on his bike...
a 750 Kaw. just like mine. He was proud of his machine, and like me, was thrilled with it's performance.

In a couple weeks he was dead. I don't know the details of his death except that he was killed on the bike. I'm hopeful that with this post someone might help fill in the blanks.

So today I'll sadly add two more names to the memorial:
Alan Padgett and Gary Bailey.
God be with them.

4 comments:

TwoDogs said...

There are a few good memories of the 'Suds' for me. Cinders had a good friend that used to work there and we would go visit. Spent a few Sunday afternoons there - back in the sixties. Went there a few times in the ninties, also. Mainly on a Saturday night to see the all the Hot Rods.

Knew Alan - as a pipefitter in Indy. He helped put in some of the fire supression systems where I work. He worked along side of a fella that we know as 'Bub'. Know who I am talking about? Bub was a year younger than us and had an older brother. Didn't know Gary Bailey, so cannot fill in any of the blanks for you.
RIP - Alan & Gary.

The Joker said...

TD,
Would that be "Bub" Kaiser?
Older brother Larry?

TwoDogs said...

YEP... That's who I'm taking about! Also known as Kelous. Great Guy.. also a pretty fair fisherman. Still lives in the area, I think.

Mommanurse said...

Gary was riding on the road that one of CG's elementary schools is now located, east of Morgantown road, that had the old railroad trestle going over a creek. Obviously, I can't remember the name of the road.....Fry? He took out a big green " Your tax dollars at work" sign. No idea if he was wearing a helmet or not, not that it probably mattered if my info is correct...not sure it is.
He had a special place in my heart. Didn't get close to him until awhile AFTER he had graduated high school, we got to know each other when we worked at the IGA together. Thankful for that friendship, and think of him often. Not altogether sure he doesn't open elevator doors for me at work without my even pushing the button. Why do I think of him when it happens? It happens more often than what I think should be normal. Whatever, it makes me smile.