Thursday, May 01, 2008

Still Trojans!

Forty-one years of working in one of the noisiest environments known to man has taken its toll on my hearing. I'm nearly deaf in my right ear and I can't hear too good outta the left one. "Pardon me?" is something I find myself saying 963 times a day, (I counted)... and that gesture is accompanied with cupping my hand behind my left (better) ear while I look at your lips, hoping you'll be kind enough to repeat what you said.
It's frustrating.

I come to reunions to see and visit with people I haven't seen in years. That was the case at this year's alumni banquet too...
I haven't talked with Mr. L., one of my favorite teachers, since we moved from that radiator-hissing middle building. What I wanted most was to chat comfortably with him, NOT shout over the ambient sounds of some DJ playing "The Hustle" at warp factor 9.
So I'm here to tell ya, I've finally learned my lesson...
Next reunion/alumni banquet, while others shake their booties on the dance floor, I'll invite the object of my attention to join me, pick up my chair and move to quieter environs so maybe I only have to say "Pardon me?" 949 times.

He's looking well and happy, wouldn't you agree? And why shouldn't he? Have you seen his bride?


A cheeseburger, order of fries, and a Pepsi, please.
Those of you that came to visit me at the BeeHive while I worked there may remember the face of the owner, Ron D.:

He looks serious, Echo!
Did you do something that deserved detention?

The ever-smiling TwoDogs and his better, (and I can't stress that enough), half:

DJ and Shifty hold down the fort while the rest of us scramble for the last of the apple crisp:

You've seen several comments re. the performance the "CG Sound System" put on for us.
Wow.
It's just hard to put into words how wonderful these kids are. Memory fails me, but I think they've finished first in 7 or 8 National competitions.
Wanta see why?
The quality is not the best but you can get an idea here:



Do I need to say again?... if you missed this banquet, you missed a great time.
Make a mental note now for next year. And maybe you can join me in the "hearing disabled" area!

UPDATE:
This is one of the numbers these talented kids performed for us at the banquet.

1 comment:

TwoDogs said...

Great time! Great pictures from everyone.

But, I really am smiling.. I was just a bit disappointed that I didn't win the door prize that I had my eye on.. Although, the styling iron is really very nice. It's cordless!!!! Really wanted those cookies, though..

Visiting with Fellow Trojans, being entertained by the CG Sound System and the tour from Hatchet were highlights for me.