Monday, October 27, 2008

IndyEcho's Fall Mini

The group wasn’t as small as Echo thought it was going to be. At the last minute, She sent Shifty out to buy more provisions; worried that she wouldn’t have enough! Ha! No need to worry. It seems as if everyone left happy and content. And there seemed to be a lot of food left over, as always. The ham was delicious, the sides – delectable. And the desserts, they were all very good ( I think I tried every one!) Edna, The Persimmon pie (pudding) was very good! DJ’s cole-slaw w/fancy bowl was excellent, as well. DJ, Does that always come with the fancy bowl?

Echo and Shifty, What a great time this was. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

Although, not as large as it has been in the past, We had a great time visiting with each other. Didn't see any new faces (we had made contact with and had hoped that we could snag a couple of new faces this year – but for whatever reason – it didn’t work out), but maybe next year. Shifty worked wonders again this year with the bon fire. The fall air was brisk - that made sitting around the fire even better. Lots of talk about old times, old boy/girl friends, some current affairs (no, not the kind that you were thinking about!) and even some talk about retirement. It seems as if we are weathering the economic storm that is swirling around us fairly well. Congrats to Ginger’s husband John (class of ’63). He is now a Judge. What’s that age old saying? Behind every good man is a good woman! ‘Your Honor’ is a pretty good musician and singer, as well. Too bad that Jamie and Michael were not able to make it this year. We missed them. Missed Carol and Tracy and Sharon and TC, as well.

Thank You, Hawkeye, for making contact with our friends and former teachers, Dorothy and John Clements. Always good to see them. Carol and Harry were up from Chipley, Florida – back home again in Indiana. At least, it didn’t snow. Rick and Maggie, always good to see you. And Greybeard and Sara Jean, what can I say? Thanks, GB, for staying on top of VKs and never letting us down…..

To all those that missed this gathering - you have to know that we missed you. But, we made the best of it and had a grand time. We do look forward to seeing you next year though!

Thanks again, IndyEcho and Shifty!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Two Dogs !!!
What a lovely posting. Thank you from both of us.

It was such a pleasure hosting the mini again this year. I was on edge two days before with all the rain. Said lots of prayers and they were answered. I agree the weather was perfect for the bon fire. Believe it or not there isn't a log left in the pile.

Hawkeye, I had some of your desert with whipped topping for dinner last night. That has got to be a standard for now on. YOU DID GOOD GUY.

Sure missed some of you but hope next year to see your smiling faces. Got to get Flygirl back here next year. Hopefully she can come a few days early so she can mop my kitchen floor.

Ended up with a black folding chair left in the kitchen. Let me know who claims it. Good excuse to pay us another visit.

Love to all
Echo & Shifty

Greybeard said...

What a great time.
Shifty's wonderful bonfire provided just the right warmth on a chilly night for all of us to sit, relaxed, and share.
It's been said before, and it's sad more don't heed...
If you don't attend, you're missing times that give the rest of us lifelong, happy memories.
I'm disappointed we didn't see long-lost classmates, but wasn't it wonderful catching up with those that came?
Thanks again, Echo and Shifty.
It's obvious how much time you spend in preparation, and we all appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Shifty and Echo. It was a great time. I still am amazed at how you all (my southern)keep up with all the class. It was really fun. The night air was cool but the fire was warm. It is always about good food and great friends. Both were abound. Great job to all

Greybeard said...

I'm assuming that comment was from Harry, right?
Man, you two came a long way, and although I know you had other things on your plate, you still took the time to come and share.
That's the spirit of this whole deal, and by caring and sharing, you two help "keep up with the class"!
Now, let's find and share with more "long losts", huh?

Great seeing you, H&C!

Hawkeye said...

It was great seeing everyone.. The food was wonderful. I was a little disappointed that Shifty couldn’t find the pickled bologna. The group was a little smaller than in the past but everyone had a good time. I know if some of the others tried it once they would be back.
The weather was perfect with the bon fire. Thank you Echo and Shifty for your hard work and hospitality.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to all of the good things said about the mini. Thanks to everyone who was there, and Thanks to Shifty and Echo . . . you done good!

P.S. If the the black chair says something about the Hoosier Horse Fair on it, then it would probably be mine. There might be a cover around somewhere to go with it. I'll give you fair warning before I stop by to pick it up.

Happy Halloween!

dj

Carol said...

It sounds like I missed another great mini. I'm going to be sure that next year there will be no confliting trips, I'm not missing any more. Maybe if we set the date now we can start spreading the word for everyone to keep that date open.
I'm sorry I missed Harry & Carol with them driving the distance to get here. Maybe next year in Destin?
Where's the pictures?

Anonymous said...

Carol, sure missed you and Tracy. I agree we should pick a date (early) so people can plan ahead. Maybe we should make the mini earlier in October next year so we won't overlap people getting boats, late vacations etc. getting in the way.

DJ - I stand corrected - The chair is navy not black and it is yours. We will hang onto it until you can pay us another visit.

Really enjoyed having all of you here. Hope next year we can get a lot more back that have come before.

Love to all
Echo and Shifty

Anonymous said...

Dear Echo,
I am so sorry I couldn't get to the mini again this year. Believe me I thought of you and eveyone while I was in Georgia....love you all and miss you. Hope next year will work out better.

I saw our dear Redgie's sister when I voted...she's still a cutie. It was good catching up with her.

Bo

Top Cat said...

Sharon and I sure missed everyone. I was in Colorado for 6 days and got an 8 point buck. Then Sharon and I went to Tn. and spent 3 days with our friends that have 700 acres that sits on a 150 acre private lake. The log home is a $700,000 home. It is truly heaven on earth there. Saw lots of deer but not a big shooter. Then got back and went to Texas for seven days and got another nice 8 point buck. Just got back to work. My son and I leave for our farm Wednesday for a 5 day hunt up there with our bow and arrow. Will be another good bonding time with father and son. Really a great young man. Again we missed the reunion its a time Sharon and I really enjoy. Hope we can get a big group in Destin! Harry get the boat ready we need to catch some big Bass.See everyone soon.