Monday, February 16, 2009

I Swear...It Only Happened ONCE!

It was the summer of 1981. I hadn't seen most of my old classmates since graduation in 1971. Hopefully, most of my old classmates were coming. My husband and I were going with one of my high-school buddies and her husband. I had put on 30 pounds from my 98-pound low in high school, and of course I heard the expected, "My God...you've changed" more than once. But I wasn't the only one that had changed.

They first served us dinner, but I was so excited to see everyone that I couldn't eat much. After dinner, I ordered a gin Tom Collins. It tasted horrible--like pure alcohol. But I needed something in my hand to carry around in order to appear nonchalant. So I kept sipping. Halfway through, I could no longer taste. Right about then, someone told me the drinks were being made "triple-strength", but by then I no longer cared.

Mr. and Mrs. Vandermeer were there, and neither one had changed a bit. I think he might have been retired by then. After that first drink and no food to absorb it, I was starting to act a little silly. I remember going up to Mr. V, patting him on top of his bald head and saying, "You're a dear, sweet man"!

Another drink or so later, we hit the dance floor. While dancing, I was trying to introduce my husband to a classmate's husband who was from Elnora. Not only was I having trouble remembering my friend's husband's name, I couldn't remember my husband's name! But I could remember what towns they were both from. What I meant to say to both the men was, "Jim, meet Leroy", but since I couldn't remember either name and I was having trouble speaking what came out of my mouth was, "Elnora, eat Loogootee"!!!

After 3-1/2 drinks, I was finished. I told Leroy I needed some fresh air. He knew what was coming, but I didn't. He helped me out of the building and we sat on the porch. I can remember classmates coming up to talk to me and being amazed that I was drunk. After a few minutes, I told Leroy I needed to walk.

As we were walking in the parking lot, I proceeded to lose those 3-1/2 drinks and the couple pieces of shrimp I had for supper. We walked on to the car, but by then I had forgotten that I had just "ralphed" all over the parking lot. Leroy leaned me up against the car, and then I asked, "Leroy, did I just throw up?" He confirmed that I did. Then I said, "I thought so...my ankles are wet!"

I was sick for three days. I have not been drunk since then--I like to learn my lessons earlier than most. We had a 20th class reunion, but it was depressing--full of old people. We might have also had a 25th, but I wasn't able to go. I haven't heard of any since then.

I just did the math...is it really possible I've been out of school for over 37 years?

7 comments:

Greybeard said...

You're more adult than me...
It took me several years to learn to control the input so I could not only enjoy the evening, but the morning after.

I'm glad you let the man know you appreciated him. I was glad we got the chance to honor him a couple times at our reunions too. He deserved the praise.

And the passage of time?
Obviously, get over that. Thank God for your good health and the love and fellowship of friends and family.

Great post Cissy. Thank you.

Cissy Apple said...

I can remember our old family doctor, Dr. Chattin, once remarked to me, "Well, what's going to happen when you've been out of school for 40 years like me?". I can remember thinking, "Man, he's old!". I was 21 at the time with a brand new baby boy, and had said something about my math being bad because I had been out of school for four years. So in a couple more years I'll be caught up with Dr. Chattin.

Rita said...

Oh, Cissy hasn't posted about the time she first had a little too much. Our dad, a regular at the American Legion on 31 took her to get her first drink when she turned 21. After her first one, someone asked her about another and she said, "Sure, maybe next time I can hold my biquer letter."

Ah, the beauty of sweet revenge from the baby sister. ;)

Cissy Apple said...

Hey, that was just one drink! And that's not quite how the story went. Little sisters...what can you do???

CnC said...

what a lightweight
Crown-n-coke

TwoDogs said...

Really good post, Cissy!

I've had at least one(?) embarrassing evening - not at a Class Reunion, but at an Alumni Banquet - years ago... pretty much quit going after that. Didn't much care to make a fool out of myself with people I didn't know. Wife got me home that night, she went in the house first, dog comes running out to greet me - I stepped on the dog three times before I made it to the front door. The next day, every time I moved, the dog yelped and ran away.... Now I only do that around people I know...

GB, I have some TQ chillin!

Cissy Apple said...

What's that...Two Dogs? Step on their toes?

That night of the class reunion when it finally hit me that I was drunk, I was trying so hard to walk a straight line...and I ran right into a classmate. He looked at me like he couldn't believe it. I remember composing myself, and then trying to walk "straight" again.