Friday, March 06, 2009

Motorama

I had to have been about 10 or 11 years old or I don't think I'd remember the event well. What I do remember is seeing some sort of future Corvette-type automobile I thought was beautiful, and at some point there was an ARMY tank on a pedestal they fired up and put in gear, and the tracks moved so the monster was able to turn on its tether... a huge visual and auditory experience. Motorama was fascinating for Gearheads and Futurists alike.

But now I wonder, what group brought me there? My recollection was this was at night, so it almost certainly was not a school field trip, (although I'm not sure of that either). I suspect it was more likely something I might have done with the Cub Scouts. Anyone else remember going to the Motorama?

There is a fun interactive website devoted to the concept cars of Motorama here.

Another Friday is upon us... the Friday before another Friday the 13th where classmates will dine and socialize.
What ya got to share?

3 comments:

Rita said...

When my brothers started driving, my parents bought them an old green car we called The Green Slime. I don't remember what kind of car it was, I'm sure that Crown n Coke does. I do remember Cissy driving a friend of mine home when she popped up the car too fast at the top of Harry Featherston's hill. It was still gravel up at that time.

Cissy lost control and was weaving back and forth all over the road and she finally hit the ditch.

I don't remember The Green Slime haven't much damage. But us two girls in the back were flying all over the place.

Hawkeye said...

Was it the old Allison Powerama in Speedway ? They had the tank, maybe a mid-engine corvette and the back half of a bus in there. Seem like I went there with the Cub Scouts .

Greybeard said...

Gotta be right, Hawk!
And tell your wife yes, the aspartame tumor was hard, about the size and consistency of a Buckeye.