Friday, April 17, 2009

CGHS Chili Recipe!

Look at difficult path we'll travel to bring good things to you...
All the way from Montana!:

Brown a pound of hamburger and onion.
2 Cans tomato sauce- thin with water
2 cans of Brooks Chili Hot beans
2 cans of Franco American Spaghetti
2-3 TBS of chili powder
Add a little bit of brown sugar- I am only guessing here but
maybe 5 TBS


I always remember having this with a peanut butter sandwich. Yummy, yummy.
Enjoy and pass it on...Mr. L
PS I could not find my recipe here in Indiana so e-mailed a son in Montana for the recipe.

Mr. L. sent the recipe a few days ago and I immediately went to the grocery to buy ingredients. Odd, I hadn't noticed they were no longer carrying "Franco American" canned spaghetti at my store. So I had to substitute the generic store brand, and all they had was the spaghetti O's style pasta. Oh well.
Sara Jean and I like SPICY food. Ordering "hot" food in a Midwestern restaurant normally disappoints. I had a choice between "Brooks Chili Hot Beans" and "Brooks HOT AND SPICY" beans, so I put the latter in my cart.

As I walked out the door for my night shift Sara Jean was browning the ground meat. Visions of sitting down to CGHS chili the next day danced in my mind!
Later that evening she called...
"You're gonna be disappointed. This stuff is so hot it's inedible!"
Uh-oh.

Home the next morning at 8 A.M...
Like you, I probably wouldn't normally eat chili for breakfast, but this situation was special.
I gingerly dipped my spoon into the wonderful smelling concoction, blew on it to cool it, and touched it to my tongue.
Yeah it's spicy, but WOW...
Good stuff.
In deference to my wife's more delicate than I imagined palate I'll buy the regular beans next time. In the meantime, this batch is MINE... ALL MINE! Bwahahahaha!
Try it and see what you think, then come back here and discuss.
(Thanks Mr. L.!)

So segueing from dinner plate to social platter, what's in store for VK's?
We're headed to TC and Sharon's tomorrow (Saturday, 18 April) to visit with whoever happens to show up. Weather looks fine from here... a small chance of rain and thundershowers, but the weather and welcome will be warm. Again, here are address and directions:

Take I -164 South off of I-64. Go down to the Lynch Rd. Exit turn left onto Lynch Rd. You will come to a stoplight which is HWY 62 turn left go to the first road you can turn right on that is Gardner Road go down about 1/2 mile house on right side. Address is 7411 Gardner Road, Chandler, In. 47610.

According to TC, all you'll need to bring is a smile and desire to visit.
Festivities start around Noon.

Then next Saturday we'll all be homing in on CG for the Alumni Banquet. It's special for me this year because of the location...
They're holding it in the old gymnasium...
OUR gymnasium!
I'll say again, I can't imagine they won't be tearing this structure down sometime in the future. So if you, like me, would like to preserve some memories of this memorable place, be there early and look for the group of people laughing and hugging. That'll be us!

We'll firm up plans at Sharon and TC's place Saturday.
Be there!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear VK's
Hey, Hey, Hey! Thanks Mr. L. for the chili recipe....can't wait to cook up a batch and a peanut butter sandwich to go with the chili. Wasn't honey added to the peanut butter? You all may have discussed that before but I can't remember.

I sure wish I could be with you all at TC and Sharon's and again the next week end at the Banquet.

Having the Alumni Banquet will be so great in the gym we love. The only kind of bad memories I have of that gym is running laps around the top and running up and down those steps....that was a killer for me. I was always damn last! HAH!! I could use some of that exercise these days but the EMT's with oxygen should be near.

We will be back home in White River Township in May. I hope you will all tell me about the parties and all the fun I missed.

Bo

Greybeard said...

An update on Sharon and TC's mini-
Perfect weather, perfect venue, great food.
Sharon and TC, Hawk and his Mrs., Shifty and Echo, Sara Jean and GB, Ferdy and DJ attended, ate too much, chatted until satisfied, then left, some of us looking forward to getting together next weekend.
I took pics and will post 'em when I have a few extra seconds.
Thanks Sharon and TC...
That was just GREAT!

Anonymous said...

Sharon and TC - Thank you very much for the wonderful afternoon and evening. It was very relaxing and enjoyable. I really love playing Hoof and Mouth!! Maybe one of these days I'll remember it's really called Hand and Foot. Thanks again for a great mini.

Ferdy

Anonymous said...

WOW what a wonderful weekend. And a great way to celebrate the anniversary of my birth. i.e. B-day.

TC and Sharon,
Thanks for a fantastic, super, great, wonderful time. The food was fantastic (and so much of it).

Shifty and I really enjoyed playing Hand and Foot. Can't wait to find (someone - anyone) around here we can get together with and play.

And Ferdy, thanks for your wonderful hospitality. Sure seemed like old times lounging around on the floor and sofa and talking until the wee hours. The only difference in this slumber party and the ones of old, (the guys stay ALL NIGHT). And breakfast was great.

Looking forward to seeing some of you next week end at the Alumni Banquet. I agree that this one is going to be special as was stated "IN OUR GYM". Boy some of the memories.

Echo & Shifty

Anonymous said...

Ditto: to Echo's Post and thanks to Terry and Sharon for the great time at the "Barn"; and to Ferdy for the "slumber party" and hospitality (and breakfast). Hope tp see alot of VK's at the Banquet. Call or email Dan to reserve your ticket for pickup at door #####55555. I do have (and so does Echo) a Question,
Where the h..eck is door (entrance) #5 anyway?

Sincerely yours,
dj

Top Cat said...

Thanks to all who came. We had a great time and enjoyed seeing everyone again. We will do this again and hopefully get several more couples.

Hawkeye said...

TC & Sharon, Thank you so much for having us all there at your wonderful "Party Barn". Such a beautiful place to relax and enjoy each other's company. It was nice to meet your daughter-in-law and wish we could have met your son. We appreciate your and your son's hospitality. What a nice day and memory for us.

"The Hawkeye's"

Hawkeye said...

Ferdy, We felt so welcome at your house. Thanks for the yummy breakfast. Loved seeing your beautiful town, Ferdinand, Indiana.
Will give DJ his glasses case.

Stop by anytime when you are visiting in the neighborhood.

"The Hawkeyes"