Friday, August 14, 2009

Dreams of Home

I don't often dream of Smith Valley. I guess the thought of visiting with all of you tomorrow sparked this dream last night:
During Winter snows, we'd often bring our sleds to the Hiatt addition hill near John K.'s house and sled down from there. It was tricky, 'cause you had to cross the street at the base of the hill where traffic didn't stop. We'd put a kid at the base of the hill to warn of oncoming traffic in case we needed to abort our sled run due to a car coming.

In my dream there had been an ice storm, coating everything in a thick layer of clear ice. I slid down the hill standing upright, then had to jump the cross street. Jumping/flying are frequently factors in my dreams and this was no different...
I jumped/flew for several seconds, making a perfect landing on the other side of the cross street...
Exhilarating.

Now, about this weekend-
Sorry you cannot make it Cissy. I had really looked forward to meeting the two of you, but fully understand that family is more important. We'll take a rain check for a "date to be named later."

Don't know yet if we'll be spending the night...
I was surprised this morning by my wife who said, "Let's play it by ear", meaning we'll bring an air mattress just in case we need to use it. We will certainly stay until we are "visited out", but then may drive the two hour drive home to wake in our own bed. (I snore when I'm tired, so it may be best for others if we don't stay!)

I'll call the Log Inn later and confirm reservations for 14-
TC and Sharon,
Echo and Shifty,
Hawk and Mrs. Hawk,
TD and Cinders,
JT and Barb,
Carol and Tracy,
SJ and GB.
... If I'm missing anyone, please let me know.

So, no cheesecake from Cissy, but we can look forward to cobbler made with fresh blackberries from Carol, and Sara Jean will make her killer peanut butter cookies.
Yum, yum!
Come hungry. Bring cash. See many of ya tomorrow.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Got the blackberry cobbler done for tonight, packing my bag for the sleep over and looking forward to some great conversations with classmates. Wonder if I should call my cousin, who is the broadcaster for NBC news in Evansville, for him to cover this big story event????

Cissy Apple said...

I sure hated missing this. I even bought a T-shirt at the Hard Rock in Venice to wear at the next get-together. Reckon I'll save it for the next time. I haven't even worn it yet.

But for now, I made a promise to myself to make Toll House cookies with the girls. I better get to it. Hope you all had a great time.

Oh, and I don't know how often I've had dreams that I could fly. All I had to do was flap my arms real hard--and I mean REALLY hard. Those dreams seem so lifelike.

Anonymous said...

Hope everyone had a great time. See you on the 26th.

DJ