Friday, October 09, 2009

Frankly Scarlet...


My Dad and I had been down to St. Petersburg, Florida to attend a cousin's 50th wedding anniversary celebration and were on our way back home. When I'm not in a huge rush I like to drive different routes from point A to B in hopes of seeing something out of the ordinary.
Not far from Harry and Carol's house I looked at the map and decided to get off the Interestate and take the most direct "blue highway" route back home. That decision lead us to the bridge between Georgetown, Georgia and Eufaula, Alabama, about midway across the "Walter F. George" reservoir, AKA "Lake Eufaula".
We turned North on highway 431 and almost immediately I was sorry
I was driving and couldn't take my eyes off the road more. On my left, overlooking the lake, were some of the most beautiful old homes I had ever seen. One after another, they were breathtaking. I made a mental note to pass back through one day with Sara Jean in tow so she could see them. (And the day that happened it was pouring down rain, so she couldn't enjoy the view and I was once again disappointed.)


Eufaula, Alabama has an interesting history that you can read here, including the fact that Eufaula is home to the largest "state of the art condom production factory in the United States"! (I wonder if they give tours?)
In April every year they hold an event called "The Eufaula Pilgrimage" where you can tour these beautiful anti-bellum homes. (At that link you can see that Southern Belles also dress in Civil War era costumes for the celebration... neat!)

So we've begun planning on another VK mini next April, and you have plenty of warning to start juggling your schedule around to attend. H&C are beginning to look at rental homes to accomodate us, and many of these are located on water with an available pontoon boat so we could cruise or fish as desired. We obviously cannot make firm plans about housing until we have a fairly solid number of how many would like to attend, but one unit we already looked at will sleep 14 and would cost $140 per night which, seems to me, would make staying at Eufaula cheaper than staying home! (And this cost included access to a pontoon boat, didn't it Harry?)

So if you have an interest in viewing these old Southern homes, or if you love to fish, or if you just want a chance to meet and greet old/new friends once again, we'd like to begin to get a feel for how much interest we'd have in a "Gone With The Wind" mini.
Think you'd be interested?

Once again, Friday befalls us,
so let your comments fall on willing ears!

19 comments:

Top Cat said...

Count Sharon and me in. That would be a great trip. I think Harry will also have his bass boat there. Raining here in Evansville the last two days and we've had enough. Getting ready to head North to our farm tonight for the weekend. Fishing, deer hunting, and working. Everyone have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Is that $140/night per couple or person?

Ferdy

Greybeard said...

No Ferd...
That's $140 per night for the lodging. If we get 14 to stay in the rental, that's $10 per night per person.
And the laughs and memories are included at no charge!

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? I spent last weekend in a rental house in Nashville, IN with eight other people. We each paid $50 per night. That house slept ten people.

Ferdy

Anonymous said...

David, I think the Pontoon boat is an extra charge. Remember the sleeping for 14 will not be all double beds. The weather can be cool or to us cold (40's)at night. You may have to snuggle. We could be looking for more houses if we need too. Spring will be on it's way. The Azaleas are (we hope) in bloom. With TC,Steve,David and me for sure, I think I will start saving the house. Did I say anything about the great fishing lake? H&C

Anonymous said...

Lovely home...kind of reminds me of BoMar Architecture.

Bo

Unknown said...

Count me and Tracy in. I love touring older homes.

Cissy Apple said...

I'm more than just interested--I'd really like to go, but if there are more than enough class of 65'ers, please put them in the rental and we can stay elsewhere. Have you got a feel for the date/length of stay?

Anonymous said...

Cissy If you like to camp and have a camper. There is a very nice camp ground just around the corner,3 milles by road. It is called White Oak. It has full hook-ups and pull thrus. The dates are April 7,8,9,10 and leave on the 11th. This is a very rural area. Eufuala has a walmat (the red neck place to be) and a new one under construction.

Carol be sure to bring your good walking shoes. We are glad you are coming H&C

Cissy Apple said...

That's my RDO week (Regular Day Off), so I'd only need to take off of work two days.

Rita said...

AND, just so the VK'ers know, April 12th is Cissy birthday. I won't reveal her age, but she's "gettin up there" in age.

Anonymous said...

We have talked about touring Civil War area homes, just never got it planned. Your plan sounds great! Count us in! Our calendar is marked to be with you!

Mr. & Mrs. Hawkeye

Greybeard said...

Cissy has a "Titanic" birthday?
Wow... we'll have to keep her away from the boats!

Cissy, you and Leroy will fit right in with our bunch, most of which are also "Valley Kids". We're hoping we can find a place large enough to house us all, so unless you specifically want to separate yourselves, I hope you'll jump into the middle of this bunch.
If you were comfortable with Sara Jean and me, you'll be comfortable with the rest of this bunch of crazies.

Cissy Apple said...

Nah, I have no issues at all shacking up with anyone from the class of '65. BUT I don't want to take up valuable space if there's room for 14, and 16 want to go. If that happens, THEN we'll find somewhere else to stay...or bring our air mattresses. It'll work out. And thanks to all of you 65'ers...you've inspired me to keep on looking for my old classmates via Facebook. We're finding more everyday, but at the same time, we're also finding out how many of our classmates have died or are seriously ill.

I just spoke to my best buddy in high school tonight. We haven't spoken to each other in probably 20 years and not seen each other in 30. Not because we quit being friends, but because someone wanted to keep us apart. And in that case, it's best to just stay away and hope someone wakes up soon.

Rita said...

PLEASE, someone tell my that my sister didn't just say she doesn't have issues "shacking up" with the class of '65.

Greybeard said...

Wait, Rita...
You're not as free-wheelin' as your older sister?
Prude!

Rita said...

GB, who told you my middle name? Of COURSE I am a prude. I guarantee you I have never been referred to as "free-wheelin". I'm boring and ordinary, surely you have figured that out by now.

Anonymous said...

IF Shifty can get off work COUNT US IN. Will know closer to the time about getting off. This is my kind of entertainment. Old home touring is my weakness.

Shifty and I went to New Orleans some years back for one of his business conventions. We had the pleasure of tourning some old plantations. They were fantastic.
So at this point count us in.

If we all can make it we will have to plan a (BIG) birthday pary. Shifty's B-day is April 5, Cissy's is the 12th and mine is the 19th. I don't know how old Cissy will be but Shifty will be 59. (I married a puppy) HAHA. As for me W-E-L-L-L guess you all know the answer to that one.

Echo & Shifty

Cissy Apple said...

I will be 57, but seems more like I should be in my mid-30s at the most. And don't let Rita fill your head with all that "prude" business. Ask her about the tracks left behind in the snow.