Sunday, November 08, 2009

Spontaneity – VK style

It was to be a short, fast visit home – one more of hundreds of blitzkrieg trips to Indy over the past 30-odd years. Aunts, uncles, dozens of cousins, friends of the family – try to visit all. Pitch-in dinners, meals at Greys, Dentist, Doctor and beauty shop appointments for Mother, (pant, huff, gasp).

Then comes the house cleaning (windows, curtains, carpet, knick-knacks, screens replaced with storm windows , gutters cleaned, car care too) fix house for winter, rake leaves --- feel guilty because I’ll never get even half of this done and it will all be left for my brother and other family members.

I’m not complaining - not at all! That’s just the way it is when you live far away.

I will admit to a major case of resentment because there was never time to see friends from HS. I tried to keep quiet about it but smoldered all the way back to Texas

As always, the best part of visiting home was the wiener roast at Rosie’s. Listening to conversations, looking at the stars, feeding hot dogs to real dogs, helping little guys with s’mores ,,, well, that’s just my favorite part.

Then came Vandy’s Kids! Reconnecting with life-long friends became a reality. Mini-reunions were like discovering a treasure trove of priceless gems – memories, friendships, laughter.

This is a long way of telling a short story; it’s a gift – it’s plagued me all my life.

Just before we left Texas, an email to/from Rosie suggested a wiener roast for HS friends. IT WAS JUST TOO PERFECT. Well, it was perfect for me but a last minute notice for others.

Mr. PT and I called everyone we could think of who lived near Rosie. Some of those VKs called others. And WA LA! On the spur of the moment, we had a party!

Of course, it poured down rain that night. In fact it rained side-ways. But it didn’t seem to matter. We sat around a pool table, shared food and laughter. I can’t believe everyone FOUND the place --- so many twists and turns south of Banta and mostly in the middle of nowhere.

Jane Ann and Guy made it all the way from Kentucky,,,, in the pouring rain,,, with a puppy. Puppy-sitters are not spur-of-moment people. I can’t believe they drove so far, braving so many obstacles, for a nuked hot dog. Ya gotta love it!

Jeanie and Steve came (LOVE my new Indy Coaches club wardrobe and coffee cup AND the books about General (Wishard) Hospital history. OH and the pictures of a new grandbaby boy! What a cutie) I stand ever-ready to help carry luggage to Sweden. Five minutes notice is all I need

Two – dogs and Cinders made it. TD is already planning the 45th Class Reunion and I would humbly suggest that it is too soon to plan if the Spur of the Moment Wiener Roast on A Rainy Night is an indicator. Cinders brought some killer brownies too

Mr. & Mrs. Hawkeye made it also with pictures of a new grandbaby boy. AND so many funny stories! Both are retired but busier than ever donating time and skills to needy folks in the area.

Dan & Edna found Rosie’s, too. Both are still working, enjoying grandkids and looking better than ever. Dan helped catch-us up on local news and the fun of being the Class Treasure. What is our balance? Pretty close to Zip. (easy math, huh Dan?)

David J made and we had a long conversation but I only understood half of it. Seeing my perplexed faced he told me we had changed subjects a few minutes ago. Whew! Otherwise TopCat had become a totally different person, had a totally different job,,, and I was totally confused. Alzheimer’s makes my life so entertaining

Mark G and Robyn made it. Mark made me feel so much better about the monkeys he cared for at Lilly’s. He often made popcorn for them – something they really enjoyed. And Robyn was like so many VK spouses -- so easy going, funny and familiar I could swear she was in our class (her youth gives her away though)

The result of our last blitzkrieg trip! Lots of laughter. Jeez Louise it was fun.

For a good time on the spur of the moment, call Vandy’s Kids. For me, it just doesn’t get any better than that. Rosie and Mike never have to get me another Christmas or Birthday present.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

PT - I'm so sorry I missed it. Things just didn't work out for me like I thought they would. Too much happening in one weekend. I'm so glad you had a good time, though. Please let me know the next time you'll be in Indiana.

Ferdy

TwoDogs said...

PT,

Thank you for inviting us - great visiting w/ you. Don't get to see you as much as we'd like. Thank You, Rosie and Mike, for hosting PT's 'wild and crazy' friends from CG. You have a beautiful place in the country. Years ago, Dad and I used to hunt for mushrooms in the hills and valleys - north and south of Banta.

Ferdy,

Congrats. on the new grandbaby. Leaving him probably won't get much easier in the near future.

Steve, Thanks for the T shirt and mug.

Anonymous said...

PT,
THANKS FOR THE COOK IN, DESERTS WERE GREAT AND THE HOT DOG WAS TOO. GOOD TO SEE EVERYONE (A FEW I HADN'T SEEN FOR AWHILE) AND PER TD, THANKS GO TO ROSIE AND MIKE. . . . I WAS GOING TO SAY SOMETHING ELSE BUT . . . . . WELL MAYBE NEXT TIME.

CONGRATS TO YOU FERDY, SOUNDS LIKE ALL ARE WELL.

DJ

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you all had a great time. Sorry I missed it but was in Ohio at Kings Island with all my off springs. Weather there was perfect so the kids got to ride all those fear makers and I watched, too young to die of a heart attach from fright. Ha.
Hope next time I will be able to make it.
Carol & Tracy