Friday, November 06, 2009

Early TV



I've blogged about being excited at first, hearing they'd be airing all the old "Lone Ranger" episodes a few years back, then being disappointed at how the acting was terrible, the story lines predictable. But when those programs first aired when we were kids the medium was in its infancy and we only had a choice of a couple channels. So we'd rise in the morning and watch the "Test Pattern" until that lame programming came on. I think part of the reason those old shows seem lame now is that we've seen the same story lines over and over again.
The plots were rehashed SO often...
"Lassie" did amazingly intelligent things, which were later repeated by "My Friend Flicka", then modified slightly so "Flipper" could do them in the water.

But the commercials...
They frequently were better than that programming, weren't they?
How many of them had a strong effect on ya?
"Sugar Frosted Flakes", "Ovaltine", "Buster Brown Shoes"...
I can remember those well. I know I pressured my parents to buy "Ovaltine" after watching "Captain Midnight"...
Do you remember the "Magic Decoder Ring", with which you could decode the message at the end of the program every week? (The message was always another commercial, like "Drink your Ovaltine for good health!") I was always sending 25 cents for shipping and handling along with my name and address to receive some "free" trinket advertised on whatever cereal I happened to be eating at the time, then day after day I'd check the mailbox to see if my new treasure had arrived.

Remember any commercials that motivated you?
What about the early TV programs?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This comment has nothing to do with commercials or TV. I just wanted to let every one know my grandson was born Monday morning in Indy at 10:55. He weighs 8 lb. 9 oz. and 20 1/2" long. Beth had a tough time delivering him because he's so big; but, they are both fine. They went home from the hospital Wednesday evening and I came home Thursday morning. I didn't think about how hard it would be to leave her and the baby. I know they are in good hands, though. Her husband is terrific. He was her rock through the delivery and never let it show how worried he was about her and the baby. It got pretty tense when the head was out and the shoulders were stuck. They had to call in a NICU nurse to get the baby started breathing. My son-in-law stayed calm and kept my daughter calm. He's been changing dirty diapers and doing everything he can to help her. I'm so glad she has such a good husband.

Ferdy

Cissy Apple said...

Here's how "hard up" we were for entertainment. We'd watch the test pattern and sing along. Wasn't hard. Just a long, high-pitched "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Congrats on the grandson, Ferdy!

Anonymous said...

Hello Ferdy! Mr. & Mrs. Hawkeye here. He sounds like a fine boy. We are so happy for you.
Congratulations!