Friday, February 26, 2010

Good News/Sad News. (Let's Celebrate Life!)

First, the GOOD news...
Today is Ferdy's birthday... her 39th I believe. (Ferd, I'll let you decide if you want to tell us how many oak-leaf clusters to add!)
Trying to lie to our group is not fair though, 'cause we've all watched as mucho water has passed beneath the bridge, right? Still, it's in our mutual interest to keep her secret isn't it?!!
Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY FERDY! Come to Alabama and I'll buy you birthday cake and ice cream!

Now the sad...
As you've read below, O.J. is gone. Shouldn't we hesitate to call that BAD news?
He brought us all joy. We were blessed to have him as a teacher and friend. Godspeed O.J. and thank you...
My life is better for having known you.

April is just around the corner. You still have time to make your plans to join us in
Eufaula, Alabama for the "Pilgrimage" there.
Those that want to fish, can fish.
Those that want to eat fish... will eat the FRESHEST fish, providing our fisherman have any luck at all.
Those that want to tour BIG antebellum homes can lay their money down and do just that. This is a BEAUTIFUL little Southern town that took my breath away just driving through it!

Those who are like me and just want a few days off the treadmill... will find like minds willing to help spark old memories of school, neighborhood, mutual friends, and shared experiences.
Bring your cares and stresses and we'll iron them all out... I promise you'll relax, take a deep breath, feel your blood pressure drop, and be glad you came. This promises to be another of those events that bonds us all together stronger than we ever were "back when". And this time we'll be adding new members to our VK family. You know you want to come, so get off your backside and make it happen! We have great lodging scheduled there starting the week of 5 April I believe...
(Please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone).

This is one of the rental properties we've reserved, and it will sleep 8 in various beds. We had hoped to bring Lucy with us and this unit is pet friendly, so Sara Jean and I will be staying here.
This is the other unit. It has beds to sleep 12 so you can see, we still have lotsa room for more VK's. (Money is not a big deal here folks... if you can make it down and want to come, let me, TD, or H&C know and we'll make it work!)

If you have it, send H&C your deposit check for $200... it's not too late!
I promise... you'll be GLAD you did.

13 comments:

TwoDogs said...

Update:

Rev. Steven Sorensen will conduct a service on Saturday, February 27 2010 at 11:00 A.M. at Flinn and Maguire Funeral Home, 2898, North Morton Street, (U.S. 31 North) Franklin, Indiana 46131. Friends may call on Friday, February 26, 2010 from 2:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. at the funeral home. Burial will be at Harris Cemetery where military rites will be conducted. Memorial contributions may be made to the Providence Church, 4080 W. 100 N., Bargersville, Indiana 46106

Greybeard said...

We have room for 20.
So far, 12 are coming.
Other than finding your way to Eufaula, (and we can even work on that), the cost really isn't a factor.
Are you ready for warm breezes?
Could you handle a little laughter in your life?
Great food. Great atmosphere. Good friends. Better weather. Mostly laughter, (but I frequently end up wiping my eyes as we part ways).
You'd better have a darned good reason for not coming!

Anonymous said...

Sun out today still a little cool. Fish'n report 2 4lb's caught. We are looking forward to all the fun. The more the better. I can't wait to hear more "bonehead" things. I have alot of things to tell. Direction to house to follow.
H of H&C

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ferdy! Hope you've had a great day today. You and my grandson Carson share the same birthday.

Love,
Bo

p.s. There is a furniture store here in Phoenix that gets furniture from Ferdinand! The manager asked me if I knew where Ferdinand was when he found out I was from Indiana. I said, YES! Ferdy lives there....HA!! He has no idea how beautiful southern Indiana is, just gets the great furniture!

Rita said...

OK, I'll have to fess up. This week I have made more than my fair share of bonehead moves.

I work with a guy who has been with the company 30 years, his wife has been there 25.

Our major project went live this week and a couple nights ago he had to run home to let the dog out because his wife was out of town.

Today I saw an email from her and I remember wondering if she was back in town.

So tonight several of us were in his office chatting a little when he said, "Oh, I forgot I have to let the dog out."

Without a hesitation, I immediately wondered about the email, but unfortunately I SAID, "I thought Julie was out of town."

It was like throwing a laughing grenade in the room.

I think this tops any other boneheaded move, even GB's.

TwoDogs said...

Happy Birthday, Ferdy. Hope you have enjoyed your day. Cinders says that she KNOWS that it is your 39th. So, Happy 39th.....

Rita, That does top GB's. Probably couldn't explain it away very easy, either - could you? I imagine everyone in the room picked up on it quickly,,,Did you feel that flush of embarressment come over you? When you know that you are redfaced and hope others don't notice...I guess I have to ask - was it an honest mistake or is there some truth to the exclamation/statement????

Read on for a Real Bonehead move.

A few years ago, I played in a golf scramble - the kind where you see the same faces year in and year out. I had been removed from the area for a couple of years and wasn't up on the local 'political' news. Wes (husband of a very well known local politician) walked in the clubhouse with his extended family in tow. Standing there with my two brothers (who, incidently, left me all alone immediately afterwards - with egg still all over my face); Anyway, I proceeded to greet Wes and his family, then asked where Mary (his wife) was. Wes looked stunned and no one said a word. Of course, Bonehead Me, I didn't have a clue and because no one was saying anything, I then blurted out - "I haven't seen Mary for quite a while, I was looking forward to seeing her. How is she doing?" Well, you have probably guessed it, Mary had passed away right after the previous year's scramble. After the family helped Wes up off the floor, there really was not much more to talk about. I slinked away and found where my brothers were hiding, had dinner and went home. As I left the clubhouse, I felt like everyone was looking at me. I did not have a good day golfing, either.....

carhar2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the golden horse said...

Ferdy,

HB a little late. I hope you had a wonderful day.

TD, You could never be a bonehead.
You are too sexy for your shirt for that.

Rita said...

TD:

It was funny because it was an absolutely innocent question in my mind until seconds later when the room was in tears laughing so hard.

I'm lucky, I work with a great, funny, smart a$$ bunch of people, so while I was embarrassed, it wasn't a stuffy office situation, it was something all of them are ready to etch in stone to save forever (lucky me).

Normally I plan out my great insults, but this one topped it all since it was started from an innocent idea (at least in my mind).

I think it was GB getting back at me for posting that he was the only one that did bonehead moves. I think he has a little voodoo doll of me and I got poked a few times this week.

I give GB. White Flag. You can stop with the voodoo hex. I will wear the bonehead crown and I will wear it with honor and pride.

Thanks for playing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I was telling everyone I was 39; but, since my son turned 40 in January I've had to up the age just a little! I did have a wonderful day, though. Any day I talk to all three of my kids is a great day.

Bo - Was the furniture Best Chairs or Mobil? Both are sold world wide I believe. Come and visit me and I'll show you just how beautiful southern Indiana really is.

GH - Glad you're okay. Glad it wasn't as bad as they first thought.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Ferdy

the golden horse said...

Thanks Ferdy.
We are very grateful. They had to evacuate us, can't take the chance after the last one that hit.

So you enjoyed the 23rd anniversary of your 40th birthday okay?

You are so right. Southern Indiana is beautiful. I loved going to Spencer to Girl Scout Camp each year.

Anonymous said...

GH - What a nice way to put it "23rd anniversary of my 40th birthday". Sounds much better than 63! I live farther south than Spencer. I can be in Kentucky in about 30 minutes! You would love it here.

Ferdy

the golden horse said...

Ferdy,

Well, I am glad you had a wonderful day.
Yes, I would be happy living in southern Indiana during the Spring, Summer and Fall. Winter, not so much.
I love the changing of the leaves.
Nothing prettier.
I remember how we all would spend so much time at Brown County Park.

TD..came across some wonderful pictures of when we all used to go to Brown County Park with the horse to camp.
I found several pictures of a lot of classmates from different excursions.