Friday, March 19, 2010

See The Eufaula Alligators!

H&C warn that expecting your GPS to get ya there may getcha in trouble. I've personally come to depend so heavily on "Carmen the Garmin" that I frequently cannot tell you which direction I'm going, (and for a pilot, that's a Cardinal sin!) But GPS leading us astray? I'll wager this is one of those situations where the GPS will do fine until we get onto some of the uncharted two-lane roads down close to the Lake.
SO.... in order for ya to arrive safely and non-frazzled, instructions are provided:

From the South:
Take Hwy 431 North towards Eufaula, AL out of Dothan
From the Headland Hardee’s on 431 go 33.3 miles
Turn Right on Hwy 95 – Go 4 miles
Turn Left on Old River Road (Same as Hwy 97) – Go 4 miles ( Turns in front of Church on Left as you start to go up hill)
Turn Left (stay on 97… hwy 93 goes straight) – Go 2 miles
Englewood entrance located on left side of road
Turn Left on Galaxie Drive
Take First Right on South Galaxie
Go to dead end stop and turn Right on Englewood
5th cabin on left just around the curve (459 Englewood Drive)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the North:
Take Hwy 431 South to Eufaula, AL
From the Eufaula Wal-Mart located on 431 travel 5.7 miles South
Turn Left on Hwy 95 – Go 4 Miles
Turn Left on Old River Road (Same as Hwy 97) – Go 4 miles ( Turns in front of Church on Left as you start to go up hill)
Turn Left (stay on 97… hwy 93 goes straight) – Go 2 miles
Englewood entrance located on left side of road
Turn Left on Galaxie Drive
Take First Right on South Galaxie
Go to dead end stop and turn Right on Englewood
5th cabin on left just around the curve (459 Englewood Drive)

Don't be confused... use of the term "Cabin" above does not mean we'll be staying in "Cabins".
We'll actually be in tall cotton. We have two full-size, gen-U-WINE homes reserved and we're still looking for schoolmates to fill vacancies. Why not do something out of the ordinary, you "stick in the mud, boring person"? Surprise yourself and everyone else by doing something a little crazy and spontaneous... head to the Deep South for fun, relaxation, and ALLIGATORS!
From previous experience I know the week will start with smiles and hugs and from that point will only improve.
And you're gonna risk missing this?
Are you CRAZY?!!

Once again it's Friday open forum time...
Let 'er rip!

6 comments:

Greybeard said...

HF-
It was quite a pain copying that PDF file and posting it here. I'm still not sure I got the directions correct, so could you review them and make sure they're right?
Thx.

Anonymous said...

David,
I think you did just right. I was hoping you would not have to type it all out. Galaxie Dr it the one you will have to watch for. Coming from the south the GPS wants to take you on a different road.
I think the houses are going to be very nice. I will add my cell number next week,that way if anyone has trouble they can call. We do have more room and know one will have to sleep on the floor. The weather is still improving. It improves every day (I have spring fever really bad).
If anyone is planning to fish it is best to get a Georgia temporary
license. Georgia owns the lake.
SEE YA'LL IN APRIL H of H&C

TwoDogs said...

Thanks, H&C and GB, for alerting us of the GPS issues. I have found that if one only follows their GPS, you may find yourself on one lonely stretch of 'hi-way' - the horse and buggy kind... Sometimes, you have to be smarter than your GPS. Being an old truck driver, I used to carry a road atlas around. I don't anymore and sometimes, I miss it.

I will get my Ga. non resident fishing lisense on line. Hopefully, have it in hand before we head south. Thanks for the tip, H. Must be some sort of trade off between Ala and Ga re: the Lake.

Temps have finally begin to creep up here. Still nothing 'green' to see in the woods, yet. It won't be long, though, and when the trees spring to life, put away that snow shovel and tune up the mower cause the task of cutting the grass can't be far behind...

Cissy Apple said...

Just to make sure...what day do we arrive and leave? I might go up a day early and spend the night at my cousin's in Huntsville, AL.

Anonymous said...

Cissy
Check in is at 3 pm on April 7th and be out by 10 am on April 11. Are you coming down I-65 to Montgomery? Huntsville has an exit at mile marker 351 that has alot of eating and gas places. It is a short way from Huntsville. H of H&C

Cissy Apple said...

Heck, I did have this on my Outlook calendar, and has been on there since I signed up! Can't wait to "formally" meet all of your folks. We'll pack up Leroy's homemade wine and some wine glasses.

The timing and length is perfect! I'll have exactly two days of leave saved up with the new company, and that Friday is my every-other-Friday off. It's been almost a year since my last vacation, so this is much needed.

Better be getting my fishing gear into shape. Love to fish for large-mouth bass, but haven't been in years.

Getting close, folks! Anyone from this area, or passing through want to carpool?