Thursday, April 15, 2010

Gettin' It Done

Well, I'm still comin' down from the high of being with beloved schoolmates in Eufaula.
These visits illuminate several things-
1. Chatting with Hawk and others at the gathering I'm convinced retirement won't be such a difficult adjustment.
And
2- I didn't allot nearly enough time to feel satisfied when we had to drive away. We need to do more of these sorts of things, and from the outset plan for more than a few days together. I know I say this every time but ask around and you'll find it's true-
If you miss these minis, you're really missing great memory-making times.

Now, some new business:
We're all lookin' forward to our next chance to meet, and right now that opportunity looks to be the Alumni Banquet on Saturday, June 12. Last year we effectively closed the banquet down and moved to a new venue, then closed that down too. Along the way we picked up some new Vandy's Kids, and everyone seemed to have enjoyed the chance to really visit with one another. I've said before that I love these banquets because it's entirely likely you'll run into a schoolmate you haven't seen since graduation, or earlier. (You may remember last year I ran into my cousin Jim H., and I hadn't seem him since '64.)
But none of these events... the Alumni Banquet, the formal class reunions, or the minis, happens without someone taking the reins and getting the horse pointed in the right direction.
Yesterday I received this note from Mr. L. :

"(Greybeard),
I recently had correspondence with (Hatchet), a former student at CG. He informed me that a Mr. (Jack R.) who is in charge of the banquet was having trouble getting people to help with the 2010 CG Alumni Banquet, and wasn't sure if there would be one. Hatchet's health of late has prevented him from helping as he has in the past with the banquet. It might be wise for you to e-mail Hatchet by the e-mail address at the bottom of this correspondence.

Glad you all had a great time down south recently. My Franklin High School Class of '51 meet once a month at the Indiana Masonic Home in Franklin, IN for a breakfast get-together. WE, too, have kept close to one another through the years. I represent the communicator of the class keeping news, etc abreast of what is going on by e-mails, phone calls, and regular mailing. We have between 20-25 including spouses too. Our class graduated 66, 21 are now deceased. I also appreciated reading from Vandy's Kids all who had passed away. Behave but know that is hard for you to do.

Mr. L"


First, I'm sorry Hatchet is having health concerns. I know he stops by here now and then, so Hatchet-
Get well soon!

Secondly, I complained last year about the way ticket sales were handled...
That tickets were not available for purchase the night of the banquet. I understand why the committee did what they did... running out of food the year before was an embarrassment. But how did anyone know beforehand they would not be able to buy a ticket at the door? The Alumni website is a farce. (Most information there is over a year old.) Where must we go (other than here) for accurate information about Alumni activities? If the committee wants to attract larger crowds to these events, there needs to be a place to get timely, accurate information.
I suspect those on the committee may already feel overwhelmed by the tasks they must do to get the job done.
So I suggest you do what I'm gonna do-
I'll email Hatchet and BobWhiteDan tomorrow to see if there is anything I can do to help. If you have Jack R's phone number or email, you might want to contact him and see if you can help pull the wagon. We have no right to complain unless we have tried to be part of the solution.

Now...
Friday has once again rolled around with no help from any of us.
Spring is springing and the Mayapples are popping up everywhere. I bet TC is out searching for Morels!
What about you? What are you doing?

2 comments:

Top Cat said...

GB going up to the farm tonight. Sharons dad is so excited about going mushroom hunting and its one of his favorite things to do. We'll be out in the woods early Sat. morning. My son and his wife will be there and two of my granddaughters. We will go four wheeling hunt mushrooms and do some fishing will be a great weekend. Thanks again to everyone for a wonderful week in Eufalua. Was great to meet new friends and spend time with old friends. Thanks to H & C for setting everything up. See you all soon.

Cissy Apple said...

Getting ready to go to DQ to get my cousin a chicken strip basket. I'll have one too and keep her company while we eat. Then to the next door neighbor's house for a Tastefully Simple party and her famous pina coladas. Tomorrow night we're going to meet two fellow CG71 grads and their husbands at the Irish Lion in Bloomington. Sunday, I'm headed to Evansville to pick up a few hugs from two very sweet little girls.

And I think I'll have my cousin over tomorrow for lunch to get her out of the nursing home for a while. That should completely fill my weekend.

Dave, don't forget Memorial Day weekend at Boggs. We have a spot for you in our camper. The food will be delish as always. You and Mark can talk politics, and arguing with Rita is sure to be fun.