Friday, June 25, 2010

The Last Friday of June, 2009

Ain't that depressing?
In less than a week, half the year will be in the history book. Days will get shorter-nights will begin to be longer. It'll remain hotter than a firecracker for two months and change, but then the leaves will begin to turn and temps will moderate. I like Spring... LOVE Summer and Fall.
But Winter?
Most often I wish I was a bear and could hibernate.
In my opinion, the best thing about Winter is that it's preceded by Autumn and followed by Spring.
Mr. and Mrs. Hawkeye are beginning to follow a procedure I could quickly get accustomed to...
Wintering down South where the temps seldom get below 50 degrees.

And mention of Mr. and Mrs. Hawk brings us to the discussion of the day... a question posed to me by Hawk...
It's a discussion some of us have had before, directly or indirectly...
What's the requirement to be a "Vandy's Kid"?
We now have this blog and PT started the related Facebook page. We're beginning to get considerable participation in both, and that's wonderful. But the question has been asked and I'd like to throw it out for discussion:
What's the membership requirement?

When asked that question, my first response is, "The more the merrier".
But that's me, and the blog and Facebook page belong to us all. So your vote counts the same as mine and I want you to answer the question too...
"Who can be a Vandy's Kid?"

I'm as close to some spouses as I am to most classmates.
I'm delighted to have gotten to know schoolmates, Cissy, Rita, Mike, C&C, Janet, and others.
We laugh with them and share the common bond of school and community.

The only restriction that makes any sense at all to me, (and I can even be easily dissuaded from this with a determined argument) is that it seems to me a "Vandy's Kid" should come from the era when Mr. Vandermeer was active with CGHS.

Discussion and debate please:
Who is a "Vandy's Kid"?

7 comments:

Purple Tabby said...

Vandy'Kids, IMHO, should include anyone who knew Vandy, or knows someone who knew Vandy. However, a teacher's influence can go far beyond the original student so the sample size can get very large. Sounds okay to me.

People who never knew him or didn't grow up in the CGHS area won't stay long because the discussions won't make sense.

However, I have found a similar group (not sure what the web name is) from Vanderbuilt University that includes children with cancer. I don't think it will be hard to tell us apart.

Just some idle thoughts while I wait for caffine to reach my brain (it takes longer all the time!)

Cissy Apple said...

I bet it's the Make-a-Wish foundation from Vanderbilt University. They gave my great-nephew his wish of a trip to Hawaii with his family. Super bunch.

Purple Tabby said...

I have an idea!!
We could give people a quiz! Like
1. What was Vandy's favorite question ?
2. What are sparkly balls for?
3. Who was your 6th grade teacher?

. . . and like that! Any other questions that might work?

Anonymous said...

PT

Grate idea except some days I could pass the quiz and others . . . now wait . . . . what was the question? Oh yes, it's been really hot lately

dj

TwoDogs said...

Who/What makes a VandysKid?? We could add lots of parameters here and maybe we should - but, I kind of like the idea of anyone with a past, current or future 'hard' connection to Center Grove Community Schools could be a VandysKid. Having said that - I understand that the Facebook page may have to be managed a little differently. I think that this blogsite has been very artfully managed for about 5 years now and I'm convinced that it will continue that way for as long as it is healthly and viable. I think that FaceBook is the way to stay more connected and current.

As far as the 3 questions - I can answer one - Does that make me a VKer? And Next year, I probably couldn't answer that one correctly.

Anonymous said...

TD,
I noticed that you very cleverly didn't mention WHICH one you could answer. I know who your sixth grade teacher was, but I thought maybe you had some idea on #2. That deal got lost in the shuffle somewhere along the way, but I was thinking that GH had some insight on that . . . . Everyone have a great 4th!

dj

the golden horse said...

PT,

Well, Let's see, could it be?
1."People, do I have to be a cop?"
2.The Sparkly ball story will go with me to my grave.
3.And Finally, Mr. H. One of the most wonderful teachers I was blessed to have. When I think back on all the things he started for the school back then. Free time on Fridays, The teterball and volley ball games, the challenges between classes, the Wednesday morning donuts and milk. And the list goes on.