Sunday, July 04, 2010

My Suspicions were Correct

Back when I was 15/16, I had a big crush on a classmate.  I carefully timed a trip to my locker every day so I would "just happen" to meet up with my crush in the hallway of Center Grove.  Then I would non-chalantly be going in the same direction at the same time.  I think we were "an item" a year or so until I got sick of his boyish ways and told him where to go.

I can remember admiring his older brother Charlie.  He was a ton more outgoing than his younger brother, and seemed to "own the hallways" of Center Grove.  Charlie was popular, and I thought he must be a really nice guy.  Two days ago, and 41 years later, I confirmed my suspicions that Charlie really is a nice guy.

Before we left on vacation to Ft. Myers, I asked Charlie if we might meet up while we're down here.  Luckily, we were able to do that.  He and his wife drove two hours to see us.  We sat around my sister's condo and talked about Center Grove and our high school days.  Three short hours later, we went out to eat at a restaurant owned by a fellow Hoosier.  We enjoyed good food and good company.  The evening was "done too soon", but I've got more good memories to stow away for a rainy day.

Once again, my Vandy's Kids friends got me started on this path to reaching out.  I am not only finding new friends, but old friends that I've missed for decades.  I told Charlie that when we do our "valley walk", I'll send him photos of his old place.  I think he'll like that.

Love to all,
"Cissy"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cissy,
Sounds like you had a great time (That's in the halls and at Ft Myers). Hope everyone had a good "4th" weekend. Don't let that Valley Walk idea get lost; but you had better let people know ahead of time (residents) or they might call out the "troops" for all of these strange people walking down the street and trying to look in windows etc.

Later.
dj

Greybeard said...

I've got you pegged as a pretty good judge of character now. I suspect you got that gift pretty early in life.
Sounds like you had a good time, including harassing the local reptiles.

Cissy Apple said...

I think we should get the Daily Journal out there to cover the whole thing.

Cissy Apple said...

I've slipped a time or two, but for the most part I can hit the nail on the head when it comes to people.