Friday, October 08, 2010

October In The Midwest

When prospective students come to me expressing a desire to learn to fly, and they want to build flight-time time quickly, I'll frequently tell them October is a great time to plan to do it. We are often blessed with really stable weather in October... almost no rain, but the stable weather also often comes with a hazard to flight... fog forming in the wee hours that burns off by about 9 A.M..



And that's been the case, at least here in my area, for the past week. We've had warm, comfortable days followed by coolish nights with a chance of fog, if the wind stays below 3 knots. Last week at my EMS job I finished a flight each night before midnight, and on each flight I could see the St. Louis Arch from 30 miles out. Stable air means a lack of turbulence, which makes pilots look like expert flyers even when they're not. These nights are so wonderful we frequently have to remind ourselves, "We're actually being PAID to do this job!"



I started two new students down the learning path last week...

One is a computer programmer.

The other is my UPS delivery guy, who those of you reading these blogs are aware I'm on a first-name basis with because of Sara Jean's penchant for watching QVC on television. He's a fixed-wing pilot with 900 hours and a commercial/instrument license in his pocket. He's also a radio-controlled helicopter pilot, so he's already familiar with the principles of helicopter aerodynamics. He's hovering earlier than most would be able to, thanks mostly to the R/C Helicopter experience.

I'm headed to Naptown today. I may be on my way, on the Pizza Bike, by the time you read this. I'm leaving early so I can take the "Blue Highways", ride comfortably, and enjoy the scenery.

I'm lookin' forward to seein' a bunch of you Saturday! 'Til then, be safe, and I'll try to do the same.

What news have you to share?!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

GB got to our house just before dark, about 7:00 PM safe and sound. He said the "bike" did perfect and the ride was a joy.

Looking forward to the Valley Walk and visiting with the VKs tomorrow.

Mrs. Hawk

Anonymous said...

Headed for Muncie, Home Coming, will call Hawk at half time and see what's going on. Hope to see everyone late this afternoon. Be Safe.

dj

Anonymous said...

Good Morning VK's,
Thanks to Mr and Mrs. Hawkeye for a wonderful backyard mini and Valley Walk. What a wonderful day; our visits are just the best!

FYI-I went to mother's after I left the Suds. She had fallen in the kitchen but was o.k. No broken bones....she was just shakey and unsteady on her feet. She did come home with me and is up reading the Sunday paper right now.

Hope everyone got home safe and sound. I'll be thinking of you all.

Bo

Anonymous said...

Thanks to the "Hawks" for a fine evening...a little late, but I made it for the last round of meals. Bo, glad to hear that Mom is OK; I'll tell Sheryl T. that you said HI !!
I'll see the Holbrooks this wednesday.

dj

Anonymous said...

dj, Sure was great to get to see you and visit with you again. Great times at the Suds! The Valley Walk was fun, sorry you missed it. I enjoyed getting to meet the Riley kids too; they're all great VK's!

Tell Sheryl T. that Joyce Ayers, Denise Twigg and I remember her. Joyce cut her hair!

Take care.
Bo

CnC said...

Thanks Bo enjoyed meeting some more of you 65ers. your all a great bunch of folks, we Riley kids felt right at home, thanks again to Hawkeye and Barb for being such great host and hostess.