Tuesday, October 12, 2010

VK Valley Walk & Gathering - Oct 9, 2010


We had a great group of friends, lots of good conversation, wonderful weather and lots and lots of great food. We were all sad the day had to end.
The "Valley Walk" was lots of fun. We traveled from our house in 3 cars and 2 motorcycles (TPO & GB) to go to the valley and parked in the EUB Church.
The Valley was in good shape, the houses looking neat and well taken care of. The Riley Kids even got to talk to the owner of their old home for a minute as they were leaving their driveway. They got permission to walk in the yard and take pictures. We got to talk to the people now owning the "Cotterman" home. It turns out the daughter of the people who used to live in the blue house across the street from the Cotterman home now lives in it. Everyone enjoyed remembering fun times (football, baseball, apple and tomato fights) in the yard of the Witty home. TPO's home also was on our walk and looking good. We enjoyed passing homes and saying who lived in which house and where the Doty, Sutton and Effie's stores and and the Bee Hive Restaurant were.
It is kinda amazing that most structures that were there when we were kids are still there. The Community Center still has a good looking baseball diamond still in use. The Community Center building was not in great shape.
On such a nice day, a lot of people and kids were out in their yards. A group of fifteen "Older People" walking down the street drew some attention. Everyone smiled and left us alone. Everyone had a story about the creek and "Iron Bridge" on Padock Road. Climbing on the bridge, swimming, ice skating, playing hookie from school and building a dam on the creek were a few of the memories.
I think it is a good thing to check in on old memories and friends from time to time. Sorta gives you a feeling of roots and belonging......a good feeling in your chest.....IT WAS A GOOD DAY.
Many thanks to those who came to be with us. It was good to be with VKs and remember those who couldn't be with us, but were such a neat part of our lives and growing up in the Center Grove area......The Valley.

3 comments:

Cissy Apple said...

All I can say is...when is the next get-together! I miss you guys already.

Rita said...

Thx Hawkeye for the post, but let's give credit where credit is due.

Mrs Hawk, GB and I were there when the van was pulling out of "MY" driveway.

I would have wanted to, but I probably would not have approached the van asking for permission to go onto the property.

Mrs. Hawk was the one who said we could ask them if we could look around. She and GB were moving fast to intercept the vehicle and I was following behind them, so grateful they were taking the lead, even when I should have been.

Mrs. Hawk asked first if anyone in the van lived there, when they said someone did, only THEN was I empowered enough to tell them who we were and if they minded us looking around.

I cannot tell you how much her taking the lead and GB encouraging me meant. I'm sure all of the Riley kids feel the same.

I will never forget it. I had not walked the property since my mom moved away 2 years after we held Dad's hands while he passed away in that very house 19 years ago.

Bless you Mrs Hawk, bless you GB, bless you class of '65. I think looking around healed alot of old wounds.

And Mrs. Hawk made sure she took plenty of pictures of the Riley's in the house where we spent nearly our entire childhood.

I think I have a new best friend.

Greybeard said...

Ain't this fun?!
And good therapy for ALL...
Not just the Rileys.
(But I'm sure glad the Rileys enjoyed it.)