Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mrs. Francis






SAD NEWS

Elizabeth Jane Francis, 88, died Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2010. She was born Sept. 5, 1922, in Bargersville. Her parents were James and Florence Robards. She married William E. Francis on December 18, 1942. He preceded her in death.

Survivors include three sons, Daniel E. (Edna) Francis of Bargersville, Dwaine E. (Kathy) Francis of Martinsville and Darrell E. Francis of Greenwood; a daughter, Donna Elaine Collins of Bargersville; eight great-grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

She attended Center Grove High School and Central Business College. She was employed for 25 years by Center Grove High School as a secretary, retiring in 1984. She was a member of Mount Auburn United Methodist Church. She was a past matron of Greenwood Chapter of Order of the Eastern Star and an alumni member of Psi Iota Xi.

The funeral service was at 2:30 Saturday, Nov. 20, 2010. There were lots of tears, but more a celebration of her life. Some mentioned her as the “face” of Center Grove High School. She took the job as secretary seriously and considered all students, especially the ones from single parent homes or foster homes, her special charge. Two of her sons spoke at her funeral, as well as a friend and two ministers. Lots of memories, funny stories, her insistence of manners, and a loving mother were the theme of each person speaking. The service ended on a happy note with the playing of the song “Sweet Georgia Brown”.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hawk,
Thanks for the post, it was a nice service. And yes, the music at the end of the service was light and actually kind of fun and uplifting. Says a lot about Mrs F.
dj

TwoDogs said...

Our condolences to Dan and the family. I knew Mrs. Francis to be a very kind and caring person through the years. To many, she was the ‘go to’ person at Center Grove. If she didn’t have the answer, she would get it for you. Most times, though, she knew the answer. To many of us, she was the lady in the bookstore. That was just one of the many hats that she wore at Center Grove. She seemed to be always smiling. And like most of the staff at CG - very caring. Her family will miss her dearly during this upcoming Holiday season.

Anonymous said...

More sad news. Cheryl Morris passed away today. I don't know what the arrangements are yet.

Ferdy

the golden horse said...

Mrs. Francis was the best. ALways had time for us.

I am so sorry to hear about Cheryl, I had no idea.

Anonymous said...

Ferdy,
I am so sad to hear this news. Please let us know how and where to send condolences to Cheryl's family.

Bo

Greybeard said...

Mrs. Francis... always smiling. What a wonderful way to remember her.

I'm so sorry to hear about Cheryl. She's another of those I haven't seen since May of '65.
How terribly sad. Anyone have further details?

Cissy Apple said...

I've also found out my 1971 classmate Stan Thompson died not too long ago. I had forgotten all about Mrs. Francis until I saw her photo...then I remembered her. She was a sweetheart. Unlike my brother Mark, I never had many occasions to get pulled into the office, but I'm sure he knew her better than I did.