Thursday, December 08, 2016

Treasure Island?

I started delivering "The Indianapolis News" in the Valley when I was ten.
Riding my bike down the hill toward Sutton's grocery meant I got introduced (outside of CG)  to Bill Frye, Steve Bray, Walt Karg, Diana Doty, Kenny Roach, Steve Witty, and Rick Perry.

I've had NO communciations with Rick Perry since we both graduated in '65.
But I'm reminded of him frequently these days while watching "The Curse of Oak Island" on "The History Channel".

Years ago Rick (1959?) had read an article in "Reader's Digest" about the search for Pirate treasure on a little island near Nova Scotia, Canada.
Something valuable was buried there. And it was valuable enough that those that buried it had actually booby-trapped the burial site to insure anyone trying to retrieve it would have a near impossible task.

The History Channel is now producing a show with a team spending MILLIONS to try to find out what is buried on the island. It's interesting, and I recommend it.

And I think of young Greybeard and Rick Perry, in the valley, every time I watch.


2 comments:

TwoDogs said...

GB, I remember searching for treasure ‘back at the creek’ many times. I think I may have even found some. Probably a good thing that the “creek’ can’t talk or we may all be in trouble. I also remember fondly all of the names that you have mentioned. None more fondly than Rick Perry. I have seen Rick just 4 or 5 times in the last 50 years. Each time, though – looking well. The last time, about 5-7 years ago, he reminded me of his father Dick - as I remembered him. We played a lot of barnyard football in Witty’s side yard. A little basketball in Featherston’s hayloft and baseball at the Community Center. A couple of names from the ‘old Valley’ that I would like to mention is Larry Mullins and Johnny Hanshew. Can’t forget Jimmy Coonfield. John H. moved away (around 10 y.o.) to a farm south of Banta. Larry and I would ride our bikes down through the country to visit with him. His farm is where our senior Christmas tree came from. Also at 10 or so, we moved from the old Valley to a house in the Sutton addition. And that is when I started to deliver the Indpls. Times. The Times went out of business shortly after that. I hope it wasn’t because of anything I did or didn’t do though – You think???
As our bikes turned to scooters and horses, our Valley seemed much bigger than before and we gathered new ‘old friends’ Such as J.T., Hawkeye and Golden Girl, the Pickerels, and Peanut Hawley. All of the names mentioned above are just a few that make up some of my fondest memories. We are all scattered now and of course, there are a lot more names that have been added over the years.

The greatest treasure that I found in the Valley is one that I will cherish forever more. It is the memories of the people, places and things that comes from growing up in such a place and it being part of the greater Center Grove Community and all the good things that have come from that.

TwoDogs

Anonymous said...

DITTO: to all of Steve's Memories. Seems like there could be a mmovie made of all the "Adventures" and People, Places and Times that lived in the "Valley". How extremely Lucky / Blessed we were.


Best to All . . . .DJ