Friday, June 02, 2006

AMAZING INVENTIONS OF OUR TIME

Over the months we have talked about so many things that were so important to our growing up. Before computers, microwaves, Ipods, gas alternative vehicles, CD's, tapes, even tape players and on and on, there was one thing that stood out over and among the rest for me.
THE FIRST COLOR TV.
WOW, I remember when dad brought the first one home, a big (well it was back then) 21" RCA combination TV, Radio and Record player. It was in a beautiful walnut cabinet, and I was in total awe of it. It had those beautiful reds, blues and yellows, all perfectly running together like a new madras shirt, sans the white levis and loafers.
He had sneaked out of the house one weekend day without a word and came back several hours later with this huge box in the back of his pick up truck. Just as proud as a peacock.
I know he had to have paid on it forever, since back then they weren't cheap, but nothing was too good for my dad to watch his beloved Bonanza. It was his pride and joy.
On Bonanza night, me and all the little neighbor kids would stand at our picture window with our little snotty noses and dirty hands leaning in as close as we could to watch that amazing appliance.
That was one of the most ornery things I had ever seen, if you bumped it, or looked at it wrong or God forbid move the living room furniture around, you had to call in the TV repairman to bring out his metal ring to do a voodoo dance around the room.
I suspect it had something to do with demagnetizing, but back then, who knows what it was called. But anyways it worked....sorta of.
Over the years, I suspect, I wore that great machine out more than once at parties. We burned records on it until the wee hours. We had the TV repairman on speed dial back then...okay it really wasn't speed dial, but we did know his number by heart.
In spite of all of it's problems, it was a special treat for our family and will be treasured always.
Do you remember your first color TV?

7 comments:

Purple Tabby said...

GH, we must be on the same frequency channel!

Last night I was thinking of things we take for granted now that did not exist 40yrs ago.

Someone had asked for my phone number and then wanted my cell number too -- they just assumed I had a cell like they assumed I wanted to give it to them.

It suddenly seemed so odd that most of us have a personal phone that follows us around, plus the plug in phones in every room of the house.

Most of our class grew up in a house with one phone, and it was on a party line with 6 other families. We had one TV, one bathroom, one living room, one refrigerator.

A couple of things that would have saved me a zillion headaches back then are a calculator, a spell checker, and an Internet search engine.

Yes, I remember our first color TV. Daddy bought it so we could watch the Rose Parade! Watching the parade was a family activity then; I doubt that I have watched it twice in the last 40 years.

I can’t imagine what Daddy would have thought of Cable; he would probably be an ESPN junkie like Mother.

Purple Tabby said...

LOL BMG would have exploded before going to the outhouse guarded by a rooster !!

We had an outhouse for a short time when we moved from Bargersville to the farm. I was in the first grade or so and was sure I'd fall in.

Then there were all those spiders and cobwebs, and no doubt there were monsters lurking in the dark corners.

The whole experience almost reversed potty training for me and my brother.

Turns out, it was good preparation for Baghdad. LOL

Like Mr. Lydic used to say, "You just never know when a bit of knowledge might become useful!"

the golden horse said...

PT
You are so right, I can't really see all the stink about Homeland Security and Americans phones being checked into. Don't they understand they are checking calls to and from the middle East.
These same people would never have survived the 50's with the party line. Homeland Security was alive and well 50 plus years ago.
Makes me laugh to think of it. Not once during those times did I feel violated.
I can still remember our very first phone number. 941J1.

As for the outhouses, I remember going to Girl Scout Camp and using them and traveling by twos to do so, cause there was always critters ready to entertain you at night. Big, Black, Hairy critters. Usually about the size of a raccoon.
McCormick's Creek SP was the best back then.

BoMarGirl said...

FERDY YOU AND PT ARE VOODOO WOMEN! Now you know why I'm afraid of those nasty chickens....one got me on the way to the outhouse at my grandparents! He hid beside the cellar door and as I passed by he got me big time. My grandfather came out and kicked him high up into space....that rooster may still be in orbit. Then there was another rooster that chased me in the front yard....he got me too. I get chills thinking about it; AND that is why I AM AFRAID OF THOSE ####** CHICKENS!

That's also why I don't camp....no indoor plumbing. I have always been so happy that Grandpa Rainey moved from Kentucky to Indiana so I could have indoor plumbing! HA! Wouldn't I have been a good soldier, PT??

the golden horse said...

BMG

Is this why you never joined in the chicken dance at school???
Just kidding, that is a horrible fear you are going through. I know we used to have 3 pet roosters and they thought they were watch dogs and wouldn't let the breadman and milkman in until I went out and wrangle them.
When I went to friends family summer home on the river, they had a watch turkey there. He would walk up to the car and check who was in there he could intimidate, usually me, and make their life hell, on the way to their run to the house.

I truly feel your pain.

BoMarGirl said...

Golden Horse - I thank you for your sympathy. You are very kind and understanding and I appreciate that.
I can do the Funky Chicken and the Chicken Dance without any problems (but did you ever see Elaine dance on Seinfeld; well, I kind of look like that).

the golden horse said...

BMG

Well, that is a relief that you can still dance. Yes, I used to watch Seinfeld and laugh my butt off. She was hilarious.
Glad it didn't destroy your humor either.