Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Rebel Rouser

Okay schoolmates, I need your help.
Sara Jean and I are on our annual get-away to Destin, Florida. Driving down we frequently listen to "Oldies" stations. One of the songs we heard on the way down was Duane Eddy's "Rebel Rouser", and it set me to thinking. Jane Ann C. and I were both in the band for a long time. I took trumpet lessons with Mr. Kaufman the summer between 4th and 5th grade, and was surprised to find myself in the High School band starting our 5th grade year. I think Jane had the same experience. In band we mostly played classical stuff with a few marches thrown into the mix.
I was surprised to come into band practice one day and find the sheet music to "Rebel Rouser" in the folders on our music stands!

It was as much fun to play as you'd imagine, and when we'd play it at our ballgames, the reaction was predictable.

But it also set me to thinking about another bandmate, and I'm ashamed to say I'm not sure I remember his name correctly. He was our snare drummer. Very talented, I think his name was David Lofton, but here in Florida I don't have yearbooks to lean on to verify that.

I know I heard he had passed away some years ago. (Bad heart?)
Hawkeye, or someone with a yearbook handy...... he was either in the class of '63, or more likely, the class of '64. Please solve my headache of trying to remember his name! And if anyone has particulars on how and when he died, maybe someone other than me would also like to hear that information.

3 comments:

BoMarGirl said...

The only David that comes to my mind (my poor weak mind!) was a guy with red hair....did the drummer have red hair?

Of course, there also was David Benner who disrupted and kept me entertained during band class; but he played Trombone.

Hawkeye said...

David Louis Loflin class of '63. Kind of a long flat top combed back. Mole on cheek. I think he lived on Smith Valley Road before 135.
I remember his chevy was making a loud knocking noise. We ask how long has this been going on. He answered long time. We said it couldn't be a rod making noise that long. It was a rod !
I don't know any details about his death.
If I remember right, another excellent drummer was Joe Runyon.

BoMarGirl said...

THATS RIGHT! David Baugh with the red hair. Do you remember Richard (Dick) Warner? He was working at the Brickyard this year as a Yellow Shirt. I just started talking with him and found out he was our class mate! Needless to say, "my face was red".