Thursday, May 17, 2007

GB's Destin Afterthoughts-

Still there...
That is to say, I still haven't completely recovered!

Part of the problem is that while others were staying in Condos that, for all intents and purposes were just fabulous motel rooms...
Sara Jean and I were "home" for the 10 days we were there.
We've now been working on unit#3 for seven years, adding a touch here, changing something that bothers us there. Trying to make it home is tempered by the fact that it is on a rental program...

it's rented out most of the year, and renters are destructive...
I'll tell you some horror stories if you ask, but won't depress you by posting them here. But the DDFF... four days with Sara Jean's brother and his wife from Chicago... a full week with TD and Cindy, five days with Fly and Cappy and Sharon and TC... and an all too short visit with Harry and Carol and Bro-in-law Ken... many folks we have gotten to know so much better during our mini-reunions, was like a dream... I just didn't want it to end.


Visiting in a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere... knowing that you have days rather than hours to catch up on everything that's happened in the last 42 years, takes the edge off conversations.
Add to that the fact that we were able to be selective about where we ate while we were visiting... we ate fresh seafood that would make ya want to "smack your Grandma!", and those of you that couldn't/didn't attend can begin to perceive what you missed at this mini.

Something we couldn't control, but ended up bein' as near perfect as possible:
The weather. We had NO rain. I can only remember one day that we could actually call cloudy, and even that would be a stretch.
Daytime temps were low-to-mid 80's, nighttimes were warm enough that shortsleeves were still comfortable.

Perfect.... Just perfect. I can only hope next year will come close.

In April/May, the water in the Gulf is still pretty cool in the panhandle... enough to turn a gals headlights on, or cause George Costanza's "shrinkage" to happen to the guys. But I think all will agree... the beach at Destin is second to NONE. If you like soaking up the rays, you can't find a nicer beach on which to do it!

Next year:
May 11 through 18 will better fit Harry and Carol's schedule.
It's my hope that word of mouth will help to increase the number of Trojans in Ocean-view Condos at Gulf Winds East. AND THAT MEANS YOU!...

If you are reading and enjoying this post, you are invited:
Classmates, schoolmates, relatives, friends and faculty.
We can all get to know and enjoy one another better.

I can hardly wait 'til next year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fly Says:
Well put GB! I've got an idea: Can't we have a double DDFF?? Would that be a D-DDFF? Ha! I'm up for it, but I live closer than most. Just an idea? How about a post-hurricane season celebration.

Whadda think GB & SaraJane?

TwoDogs said...

"Near Perfect"? I'd say better than that! Everyone left wanting more. It was that goooood....

GB - I do remember one evening, though, when you were at the dining room table (condo 2, I think) with 4 or 5 or 6 spouses and classmates and you were have trouble keeping up with the conversation. I asked you 'What is going on over there?'. You replied "I have no idea. I tried to say something several times and I couln't get a word in edgewise."

A great time was had by all!!!

Fly - You know that I am up for just about anything - Post Hurricane - Pre Hurricane - Dead of winter - I don't care, as long as I can find the time, I'll be there. And if we could book some time in Destin while J-Lo is there, so much the better! And I will find the time.