Thursday, June 28, 2007

Are we all somehow related?

Here’s something that may be of interest and hopefully some of you will add your knowledge and/or comments:

I’ve been doing some research on my ancestors and actually got all the way back to the early 1700’s on some of my ancestors. Anyhow, Alva Surface’s (born 1888) father was Benjamin Franklin Surface (born 1860 in Indiana). Alva, as you may remember, was a janitor at Center Grove for many years. Here’s the interesting part: Benjamin F. Surface was married to Lucy Ellen Doty (born 1859), which makes Alva Surface – half Doty. So I’m thinking if the Surfaces and Dotys are related, how many other families in the Center Grove area, that were established in Johnson County over the last 150 yrs or so, are related?

Alva Surface’s 3 kids went to Center Grove when it was just one small building. The only town close around was probably Bargersville and downtown Greenwood (at the corner of Main & Old 31). Smith Valley wasn’t even heard of, yet; it was all farmland. So it only makes sense that way back then most of those farm kids didn’t have the means to travel far so they ended up marrying kids from neighboring farms. For all we know, most of the class of 1965 could be 2nd or 3rd cousins (once or twice removed).

As the population grew in Johnson County, after WW II, it brought new blood of course, but most of the established bloodlines remained in the area. It would be very interesting to know, who is related to whom.
Anybody out there got answers?????

Also, I came upon a copy of an 1880 US Federal Census report that listed the head of household as my great-great grandfather on my mother’s side and here are a few questions that were asked on the report that needed a yes or no answer:
Cannot read/write? Blind? Deaf and dumb? Idiotic or insane?
These questions were not answered on his report, probably because he was “all of the above”.
I don’t know, I just thought the questions were pretty humorous.

6 comments:

Greybeard said...

Interesting.
I know both Hawkeye and Carol have been doing family history searches, and both have found a long-ago connection to the Greybeard family.
I hope they both add their two cents worth here.

up, down & charmingly strange said...

Right you are about the families being interrelated. The Surfaces, Robinsons, Dotys, Suttons, and Paddocks were all related in one way or another. Here’s an interesting fact about the Surface family in Johnson County if you didn’t already know.

Several Surface brothers moved their families from western Virginia to Johnson County, Indiana in the 1820’s for the excellent farming land there. They were descended from a minor German aristocrat, Count von Zurfas and went by the surname Zurfas until their move to Indiana.

Samuel S. Robinson (my great-great-great grandfather) was married to one of the Surface sisters, Elizabeth, and brought his family to Indiana with them. Most of them settled around Smith Valley. All of the Robinsons that I’ve known of in northern Johnson County are descended from Samuel and Elizabeth and are related to the Surfaces (hi cousin!).

With the small population of the area back in those days before modern transportation, (Smith Valley had a population of 50 in 1880) it’s pretty much a sure thing that all of the families would be related.

The Joker said...

Wow. Thank you so much for that info, up down & charmingly strange. I know Benjamin F Surface's grandparents on his mothers side were both from Germany and Ben's great-great grandparents on his fathers side were from Germany. And I know they were all in Virginia before coming to IN.
I did not know about Count von Zurfas. Good to know.

Here's some more interesting facts:
My mother married Alva Surface's son, Paul, when I was 2 yrs old. Paul is my step-father and Alva my step-grandfather. However, my mother and Paul Surface are 3rd cousins!!! So indirectly (or twice removed or whatever) I really am related to the Surfaces.

Very interesting. Again, thank you.

Anonymous said...

I think you've got something going here....I am related to the Dunn family and Kinnick family through my mother's side. The Kinnicks were a very large family that settled in the East side of Greenwood and were farmers. I think they came from North Carolina. The Tinkle family is also related to the Kinnicks. So Pete Tinkle and Dan Kinnick are distant cousins of mine; and also Jerry Dunn.

After so many generations this gets so complicated I have to review it all to get it straight. But I wouldn't be surprised if we weren't all related in some way.

Love to all the family!

Bo

the golden horse said...

At least we now know we are all at least kissing cousins of one kind or another.
This is so absolutely interesting, I can't begin to tell you. I am loving every minute, keep it coming. The info about Smith Valley is awesome.
My family on dad's side came from Black Forest, Germany and Mom's side came from Va. in a covered wagon. I still have a dish they brought with them.

The Joker said...

Another interesting fact I found out about my real dad (whose family never lived in Johnson Co. as far as I know): on one of the census reports in the late 1800's my real dad's family had to list everyone living in the household and one of them listed was a Surface, and this was before my mom was even born.

I found all my info at ancestry.com which is free for the first 3 days, then they cut you off and want you to pay $20 a month. I really would like to get into it a lot more, but will have to wait until I have more time.

Thank you all for your comments and I hope others will contribute as well. This is so fascinating.