Monday, July 23, 2007

Shattered Glass

Self absorbed?
Sure we were. Our time was important!
Why should we have to waste it?


It was Good Friday.
Liberals/Progressives of today, don't read the next sentence...
We were gonna get half a day off for the Easter holiday. The entire school was moving to the gym so Mr. Vandermeer and others could say a few marvelous words and send us on our way. In the past, these Good Friday assemblies had taken 90 minutes or so...
Why should we stick around for an hour and a half and accomplish nothing? We had "places to go, people to meet"!


So Tom, Ron, and I came up with a plan...
we'd just mosey on out the North door of the gymnasium down to our cars, and quietly leave.
No one would know. No one would care.
And that's exactly what we did.
The weekend passed, and we thought we had pulled it off.


But Ron G. had seen us get into our cars, and for some reason Ron felt compelled to tell some member of the faculty about three classmates breaking the rules.

Monday morning started normally.
Then, over the P.A. system-

"Would Tom #####, David ####, and Ron ####### please come to the office!"
Uh-oh. We'd been ratted out!
Question was, by whom... and how much trouble were we in?


Already seated in Vandy's office- Mr Vandermeer came in and sat across from us.
He started out carefully making his points quietly and calmly...
"Leaders of the class... looked up to and emulated by others..."
Then the volume and tempo both increased-
"Who do you think you are? Do the rules not apply to you?"
Then the temperature went to a full boil!
"I have to expel you for three days. You CANNOT make your own rules!"... and as he spat out the word CANNOT!, Vandy brought his fist forcefully down on the plate glass covering over his desk, shattering it into a thousand dime-sized pieces.
I sensed motion and looked to my left to see Tom moving out the door as fast as his legs would carry him. Momentarily stunned by the sight of shattered glass dancing all over Vandy's desk, I came to my senses and quickly followed his lead.
I don't know what Ron did... Ron, if you're reading, fill us in!


But I hafta tell ya this-
It's another great story to be able to tell,
and e
xcept for the detrimental effect it had on our grades, the three days of involuntary vacation during early Spring in Central Indiana was not altogether a bad thing!

17 comments:

The Joker said...

I enjoy hearing stories about the good ole CG days.
How did you find out that Ron G. ratted you out? Did you ever call him out on it?

I was totally out of the loop in school and maybe I knew it at the time, but now- I really don’t remember you guys being suspended. I was a shy, quiet, wallflower type, and terribly naive in school. So when I did get stories about the more “brazen” bunch of kids at our school, it was 2nd or 3rd hand info, and I was aghast. I would never ever do anything to cross a teacher or cause any kind of chaos in school. At the time it would just terrify me to even think of doing such a thing! I remember Tom T. talked back to a teacher in class one day and I wanted to crawl under the desk. I was scared for Tom, but I guess nothing ever came of it. I could never do that – at school. . . .

However, at home, I was a smart alec, wise mouth, mean kid. I don’t know why I was this Jekyll/Hyde persona (actually I do, but that’s another story). But in my senior year, I finally started coming out of my shell and I actually skipped some classes and walked home in the middle of the day. Wow! For me that was big stuff! I know you’re thinking: “skipped classes? Whoa!” That was about the extent of my ‘badness’ -in school. HA! But then I graduated and went out into the ‘real’ world – no more shy, backwards little farm girl. And, OH, the stories I could tell. -evil grin-

Greybeard said...

Joker-
Sara Jean says, "so tell those stories, please!"

Top Cat said...

GB reminds me of the time Gary Page, Chip Fulmer, Myself and someone else I don't remember who decided to skip study hall and go to the Pool Hall in the middle of the afternoon. As were playing a tall gentleman walks in and asks if he could join us. Of course it was Vandy. How he knew we were there baffles my mind still. We couldn't get away with much. Someone always seemed to know. I remember the time I got in a fight with Eric in gymn class,can't remember the last name. John Clements had fun tanny my butt. Three nice whacks. During basketball training Gary Page and I always brought up the rear. We had to run clear around the road. Can't even remember the names of the roads. But we would let everyone get in front then we would cut through the apple orchard and wait on the other side sit down eat an apple. When the last guy came by we got up and headed in. Glad we didn't get caught on that one. They would have killed us. Its amaing the names I can't remember. I guess its that 60 thing. Today is it. No more 59.

TwoDogs said...

Happy B day, TC! Wishing you many more to come.

The Good Ole Days at CG. I'll never forget them. What does CG stand for???? I forget... I do remember names, though. And, TC, I think I know the last name. I will send you an email. MR. C could lay some wood on, couldn't he?

Tools had a certain way of handling himself and - most of the time - was able to stay just beyond Vandy's reach. I remember one time that he couldn't though.

Joker, I agree with Sara Jean. Let's hear more of the wild side of The Joker -evil grin-

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, TC. Glad to know you have joined the rest of us at 60. You must be the youngest one in our class.

See you at Indy Echo's.

Ferdy

Indy Echo said...

Happy B-Day TC.
60 ain't so bad.
Remember the Japanese say we are starting a new life at 60.

If this is true then we are really luck in one way. Think of all the things we did wrong in "our first life" now we know which roads not to go down this time.

Echo

Purple Tabby said...

Happy Birthday TC! Hope it was a fun day.

I didn’t know Vandy had a temper! I think I would have had a cardiac arrest if I had seen him break the glass on his desk! I didn’t know you guys were such bad actors but I always suspected there were LOTS of folks having more fun than I was,,, although I was a pretty happy kid (if you leave out the drama queen stuff)

Once I was called into Vandy’s office with several other kids; he talked to us one at a time, though. I had no idea what it was about. He asked about an incident that happened in class. I knew very little about it but I did break out in hives that lasted the rest of the day.

And JOKER! I’m absolutely SHOCKED that you walked home during school time!! OMG what a rebel! LOL What with Fly, GH and maybe Bo talking to some cute boys when they were supposed to be at a Sunshine convention!! AND then fibbing about it to Mrs. Fulmer! Talk about girls gone wild!!

What else did I miss?

Anonymous said...

GB,
My question is: Just where did you guys go for the morning to find ANYTHING to do?

I do remember the guys cutting though the apple orchard and meeting up with the rest of the runners on Mullinex Rd., quite clever young blokes I thought - HA!

Happy Birthday TC! Seems like we should be 40 not 60 - where did those 20 years go?

Do you all know that Gary P. directs the singing at his son's church? A friend of mine asked me if he sang in school. I told her the only thing I remember hime singing was, "It's a Hot Time in Alaska When Molly Does Her Oh By Golly Dance".....I doubt if he has the choir sing that on Sunday mornings but I want soooo bad to go down and request it by slipping a note in the offering plate! HAR HAR!!

Love to All,
BoMarGirl

Greybeard said...

Ahh Bo! Gary P. sing?
I can remember him in a booth at the BeeHive singing the Beatles:
"It won't be long, yeah... yeah... yeah..."
To which Gary would add:
"It might be short, yeah... yeah... yeah!"

If and when you go, put that request in the offering plate too, please!

the golden horse said...

Belated Happy Birthday TC and many many more. I will join you all very soon for the big 60.

As for the Sunshine thingy....I am pleading the 5th on that one. It was Flys fault...she led us astray...LOL..but had the fastest comeback answer in the world. I am still in awe of that girl for that one.

Bo: I will give you the $5 to put in that plate if you take a pic.

Joker: So you are really a covert renegade uh? Seems we have things to talk about and hear from you.

Purple Tabby said...

GB. Your story about Gary singing is SOOOO funny! I'll never think of that song the same way again!

Anonymous said...

GB,
When I go to Gary's church you can be sure I will include your song request.....anonymously. We might just get him excommunicated from his position as music director in just 1 Sunday!

Bo

Anonymous said...

GB,

or maybe he would be defrocked!

Bo

Hawkeye said...

Happy Birthday TC !
I'm still 59 for a little bit longer.

Anonymous said...

Still are.

Anonymous said...

I remember this episode very well. I never forgot the speech about how important Easter was to Vandy during WW2 and how disrespectful it was for us to cut the program. But I never understood the punishment for skipping school?????? More of it!!!

Anonymous said...

I hate to shatter any more glass, but should have cleared this up in the last comment. You and Tools got expelled, when you left the office Vandy said you guys probably led me astray, so all I got was "counselled".