Wednesday, August 01, 2007

A STROLL DOWN MEMORY LANE

In July while recovering I posted the "How Good Is Your Memory ???" about TV shows we use to watch in our youth. I never dreamed that is would have the impact that it did. I hear from GB that it has topped the records so far with (57 comments).

S - O - O- O I have come up with a new memory jogger. Let's see if we can have as much fun with this one. Now we all will have to admit that in "our day" music was real music. The entertainers actually "sang" the songs and you could understand the words. They didn't even use make up to hide their identity. Well Little Richard (maybe a little bit) HAHA

Shifty and I love listening to music from the 60's and carry overs from the 50's. Shifty use to travel with a band back in the 60's. He did the set up for them and promoting. They were called JERRY AND THE DECADES. All of the guys in the band were from London Kentucky and surrounding areas. Little did they know back then that a couple of the guys would go on to stardom and work with some of the "big name" entertainers of today and yesterday.

If you think back I am sure that you will remember a group called EXILE. Memory not so good ???? Well this may trip your memory !!!!

Kiss You All Over, She's A Miracle, Cant's Get Close Enough, Give Me One More Chance, It'll Be Me, Woke Up In Love and Take Me Down and many more.

One of the lead singers with EXILE is Les Taylor. Shifty grew up with Les and he started out with Jerry and The Decades. We had the great experience of seeing EXILE in concert two years ago. Shifty hadn't seen Les in some 30+ years. It was a really moving experience to see them re-united after all those years. After the concert we gathered around their tour bus until the wee hours of the morning talking and reliving the "old days". I think those guys would still be talking if they hadn't had to get on the road for another concert.

Also in their band is a super guy - who is like a brother to Shifty. His name is Fred Wooton. Fred is a Steel Guitar player and backup singer. He is known in the music industry as one of the most outstanding guitar and steel guitar players around. Aside for his unbelievable talent there is something else that makes him unique. He doesn't read music. He plays strictly by ear. As the years went on Fred has played in the bands of some top names that I am sure your will recognize. Keith Whitley, Lori Morgan, Ricky Skaggs, Linda Ronstat and I am sure a few more that I have forgotten. We visit with Fred and his wife quite often and spend Christmas with them each year. It is really something to hear Fred & Shifty rehash tails of old. I didn't know Shifty was such a hoot. I couldn't believe the story Fred told about Shifty letting some "goopie girls" believe he was from England on one of his road trips. When I heard the story I said, "Honey, how could you lie to those poor little teeny boppers". He said, "on heck, I didn't lie, I just told them I was from London - I just didn't say London Kentucky". Oh some of the stories they can tell.

Anyway, enough of that - HERE IS MY NEW MEMORY CHALLENGE TO YOU !!

How many songs from the (60's) can you remember? And even some of the carry overs from the 50's that we like to claim. And to make it even more interesting CAN YOU REMEMBER THE ARTIST'S? I will have to admit that I have a pretty big collection of 50's & 60's music and I can't believe how many of the songs I know but have no idea who sang them. When I looked some of them up I swear I have never heard of them in my life.

So think back to the hours spent at the Bee Hive, The Frost Top and the Sock Hops and lets see how good you are. If you don't know the band or artist but remember the song it will be fun to see who can fill in the artist/band name etc.

Here is my starting contribution:

Creedence Clearwater Revival - PROUD MARY, HAVE YOUR EVERY SEEN THE RAIN, TRAVELIN BAND and who can forget THE MIDNIGHT SPECIAL

Tommy James & The Shondells - MONY MONY
Sam the Sham and The Pharaohs - WOOLY BULLY
The Kingsmen - LOUIE LOUIE
Wilson Pickett - LAND OF 1,000 DANCES
Betty Everett - THE SHOOP SHOOP SONG (It's In His Kiss)

HAVE FUN AND JOIN IN

Echo & Shifty

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! "It's Only Make Believe" by Conway Twitty!!!!!!!!!! That song gave me chills from the first time I heard it (in the 6th grade). That song still gives me chills whenever I hear it. Conway Twitty was my idol for years and years. "Hello, Darlin'" can still put me in a trance.

Ferdy

Greybeard said...

Ahh, just crank up the volume on "Wipeout" and watch what happens!

Anonymous said...

I always liked "Until the 12th of Never"; I don't know who sang it but it was great for middle school dances!

AND, "It's Pony Time!" is a great tune that got us all on the dance floor.

Bo

Indy Echo said...

Well, we are on our way guys.
Ferdy: I loved Conway too. I agree with you on both.

But the one that I could listen to over and over and go into "heat" over is "You've Never Been This Far Before. Do you remember it??
If not I have it on CD and we will make a point of playing it at the mini.

Bo - Naturally I remember It's "Pony Time". Loved that song and worked up many a sweat on the dance floor to it. But for the life of me I don't remember "Unitl the 12th of Never". Do you remember any of the words to it that might triger my memory?? Gads, with that question we are now playing a whole new game. Just like that new show The Singing Bee on Tuesday nights. Have any of you seen it yet? If not be sure to tune in - It's really good.

GB - "Wipeout" wow what a song. My brother Terry played the drums and was REALLY good. He was in a band for awhile and that was one of the songs they played and he did a drum solo. Terry is left handed so when he played the drums it was really neat to watch him. He didn't some really fancy "cross over drumming". And believe me I HAVE cranked that baby up numerous times. Sometime I crank it up first thing in the morning when I come into the office. First time I did it - it scared poor little Elle to death. She hid under my desk. HAHA

Here's a few more contributions from Shifty and me.

Midnight Confessions - THE GRASS ROOTS
The Worst That Could Happen - BROOKLYN BRIDGE
You Don't Own Me - LESLEY GORE - Oh some of the memories I have of dancing to that one. Tee Hee Hee !!

Come on guys we are just getting going here.

Echo

Greybeard said...

Not much digging to find this.

Anonymous said...

Echo - Oh, yeah, I remember "You've Never Been This Far Before". Yee, gads, what a song. Conway had that deep growl in his voice that could really stir up feelings - if you know what I mean! OH, yes, very fond memories!

Ferdy

The Joker said...

Aside from Elvis and the Beatles, there are SO many that I like.
Here are a few:

>Johnny Angel (1962) by Sheley Fabares
>Don’t Just Stand There (1965) by Patty Duke
>Who Put the Bomp (1961) by Barry Mann
>Wild Thing (1966) – The Troggs
>Crying (1961) – Roy Orbison

In 1967 I saw the group “? and the Mysterians” in person at the Whiteland Barn and they were singing their one and only hit “96 Tears” (weird looking group, at the time)

Anonymous said...

Echo,
Yes! I watch the Singing Bee and LOVE it; but I don't know a lot of the songs they sing....it would be fun sometime for us to have a "60's Singing Bee".

I can't even remember all the words to "Until the 12th of Never"; but here are a few:

Hold me close, never let me go
hold me close, melt my heart like April snow

NOW ALL THE GUYS HAVE GONE TO THROW UP SOMEPLACE SO I'LL LEAVE IT AT THAT!

I did see your kind offer to take me to the Beef and Boards Theater; I asked Max if he wanted me to go to his reunion. Wouldn't you know that he said, "Well, I think you should go the night we have the dinner." (Same night as the play and MY classmates get together; I'm not giving up yet, Echo so save a seat in your car for me just in case. I would love to go and see everyone.

BoMarGirl

Indy Echo said...

Hey Bo,
Your chariot awaits IF YOU GET TO GO. I will keep my fingures crossed.

I still can't remember that song. If anyone has it on CD or anything be sure to bring it to the mini.

As I posted this year we are planning to have the pitch in and then the bon fire for the mini as the main entertainment. Of course we are planning on Jamie providing her fantastic music as it has sort of become a tradition. Also hope anyone else with any musical talent will be joining in. I hope Ginger and Johnnie will be here. They made their first mini last year and said they want to come again. Johnnie said that he plays music also and would like to play this year.

I was kind of thinking about having Jamie and (anyone else) play out around the fire. Shifty can put down some kind of (something) for them to set up on. That's on his "Honey Do List" but he doesn't know it yet.

Thought that we would pipe music out there so we can play a lot of the "good ole tunes". Like a lot of the one that we have mentioned so far and hopefully more to come".

It would be really fun if we had a Singing Bee out around the fire. We could let anyone (who is brave enough) sing as well as a sing along to the CD's.

Sound Like Fun to anyone????? Always open for suggestion on what anyone/everyone would like to do to make this the best mini ever.

My contribution for today:
Just One Look: Doris Troy
I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honeybunch) The Four Tops

Echo

Anonymous said...

I love "Fun, Fun, Fun" by the Beach Boys.....do you remember the words?

Bo

Purple Tabby said...

Remember when the Governor banned Louie Louie from the radio? LOL too funny.
When Jeanie and I were in nurses training, the two girls next door play it non-stop for hours. They pulled up the arm-thingy on the record player so it just kept playing over and over again.

My favorite songs were (still are) the ones that just make ya wanna dance! "Great Balls of Fire" "Chantilly Lace" "Shout!"
and the ones that were perfect for pseudo-choreography like "Stop in the Name of Love" "Wait Mr. Postman"

One of my favorite movies is “The Commitments” which is chocked full of great R&B music. My all time favorite song has to be “If I don’t love ya Baby, grits ain’t groceries, eggs ain’t poultry, and Mona Lisa was a man” LOL But I can’t leave out “You just sorta stomped on my aorta, ya just smashed that sucker flat.”

Other than that I’m a die-hard Beatles fan who is still ticked off that John married that bossy woman instead of sweet little ole me.

Indy Echo said...

PT
I swear I have never heard a song with those lyrics. But I would love to - it sounds like a real Hoot. I you have it bring it to the mini. I am sure everyone would get a kick out of it.

As far as John marrying Yoko she is a perfect dictionary defination of a "two bagger". She must have had some hidden talent as looks was not a positive factor.
You would have been a much better catch. HAHA

Echo

Indy Echo said...

Note to everyone. I noticed that none of you have checked out my new post of Wheels, Tunes and Memories. If you have you haven't made any comments.

It is so COOL. The music is great and it really goes with "A Stroll Dowm Memory Lane".

If any of you guys are checking in here please check it out. I know you will enjoy it. No only the music but the cars. I am sure some of you had one or two that you will relate to.

Let me know what ya'll think of it.

Echo

Anonymous said...

Come go with me by the Dell Vikings

Indy Echo said...

Oh the songs of long ago. As I mentioned I have a pretty good collection for 50's & 60's music.
I will see how many of the ones you all have mentioned that I have.
Be sure to be at the Mini in October and I will have Shifty pipe music out to the meadow. We can listen to some of them around the fire.

Echo