Sunday, September 16, 2007

"The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas"

A Review, By Greybeard-

This story is about a whorehouse!
A whorehouse!

My sensibilities were stretched almost beyond the breaking point!

Well really, I didn't know quite to expect about this play.
Some of the promotional material has one of the primary characters,
Madam Mona saying, "There's nothing really dirty goin' on." So when we were treated to characters simulating sexual intercourse at the sides of the stage, I was mildly surprised....
A whorehouse, mind you!
I had not seen a lot of critical approbation, so I walked in expecting reasonable... not GREAT entertainment. And that is kinda what we got.

The storyline is/was predictable. I suspect much of the talent was local... therefore some of the players were excellent... some were satisfactory. Some were limited by the material given to them by the writers.

But I agree with TwoDogs comment this morning: "It was a little bawdier than I imagined it would be." I'm a prude at heart, and some of the cursing, although probably necessary for the storyline, made me uncomfortable. What made me even more uncomfortable, in these days of Muslim beheadings of innocents, was a line uttered by the Texas Governor character, intended to show irony:
"If only the Jews and Arabs would treat one another like Christians!"
If we are talking about truly bein' Christlike Governor, my only comment is, INDEED.

The food was plentiful, varied, and tasty.
But the highlight of the evening for me was 15 other audience members.
I wish I had looked at my watch so I could accurately report times for ya...
We stood in the foyer talking so long, I began to be uncomfortable about keeping the workers from locking up and goin' home, so I suggested our group step outside to continue our conversations there. Once outside, we spent another... half hour? Forty-five minutes discussing classmates long forgotten, or the time the BoMar kids took up grave robbing as a hobby.
(C'mon Bo... more on that, please!)

I was delighted to meet Mr. BMG and Mrs. Mark G. for the first time. I really think our classmates have done a wonderful job finding 1st class spouses to add to our mix! Delightful.

All in all, a great night, folks. Sara Jean and I sat with DJ and JT, so we smiled most of the evening. DJ and I came to an agreement... Angels have beautiful landing gear!

I'm sorry if you missed this mini. If you did, once again you missed a good time shared with good company. Now, mark your calendars:
20 October, Edinburgh Indiana.
We will have a great time. You don't want to miss it.
More information forthcoming.
Watch this space!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geeemunney! What a Show we saw last night...."nothin' dirty goin' on"...o.k. I think Mr. V would have a few words about that..don't you? HAH!

It was wonderful seeing some of Vandy's kids last night. I would say the visiting was the best part; and we do have the greatest spouses, don't we?

Now you all didn't have a clue last night but Mr.BoMar is having a big-time diverticulitis attack. No way would he not go last night. He loaded up with Darvocet and refused not to go.

I am waiting to hear from the doctor at St. Francis and let him know I'm bringing the man in for some repair work this afternoon. Why does it take physicians so LONG to return calls???

In the meanwhile keep your fingers crossed for Mr. Bo; he's suffering.

Purple Tabby said...

Who else was there? Did anyone take pictures?

Bo, I hope Mr. BoMar is better! Good grief! What a trooper. Make him some soupy Mac and cheese and some jello. That's about a low residue as I can think of.

GB, I was lucky enough to see TBLWITx about a hundred years ago when I was stationed in Madrid. We went to London for a 4 day weekend (gawd! can you believe that really happened!!;))) and thoroughly enjoyed a Theater Marathon – 2-3 plays a day.

I don't remember much about TBLWITx except there was a soap star playing the governor. It was okay but the fun was just being there. We would get el cheapo seats in the rafters and eat Cadbury chocolate till we were green. I really wanted to be a seamstress for one of the theaters.

Nudity on stage was a big deal then. We saw "Hair", "No Sex Please.We're British" and a bunch of others that had varying amounts of nudity. Brits never shy away from baring it all.

After the initial raised eyebrows at seeing naked people on stage, all I could think of was how cold they must be. It was November, rainy and cold outside, the theaters were barely heated. We wore several layers of clothing and felt fine but those folks on stage had an odd bluish tint.

Sounds like you guys had a great time in Indy. Did you see the Wicked Wahine? In a kilt?

The Joker said...

Wicked Wahine checking in!

It wasn't me that would have been wearing a kilt. GB can fill you in on that later when he gets home. I think he left Indy around 3 pm. Indy time.

I didn't attend the play on Saturday night, but was told there were about 8 couples joining GB & TD. Again, they can fill you in on that later.

I had brunch today with TD, GB, their wives and one of TD's daughters. It was SO great to meet up with them at last, after 42 years. We dined at the marina and sat outside overlooking the water & docks. The weather was absolutely beautiful - low 70's sunny and lots of bees! The food was good and the conversation was GREAT! One thing I got from our conversations was that all 6 of us are animal lovers.

After brunch I followed TD back to his house and met up with Lucy, GB's dog. I raise poodles and I could definitely see the poodle in Lucy. Lucy is like my dogs - doesn't know a stranger. I had a great time today and I’m so glad I went. Can’t wait for the mini reunion at Indy Echo’s.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Hawk here. Hawk and I were part of the 16 people who attended "Best Little" last night. It has been a long time since I had been to Beef and Boards Dinner Theatre. We were there 10 or so years ago to see "The Amazing Kreskin". Things have changed.

The company was great, TD and Cinders sat at our table. The dinner was super good. I liked the pasta best. The show.......Neat costumes, many great songs, good harmony, very good dancing, costumes were a little small and revealing at times. The language, I think it could have been cleaned up a lot. A second to GB on that.

Hawk says there has to be a dog in a movie for me to like it, and I think that applies to stage shows for me too now.

I second that the best part was talking to everyone. I got to talk to Mark's Mrs., Robin for the first time. Very nice lady. Also catch up with the other nice people there.

So sorry to hear about Mr. Bo! I would have never guessed he was feeling bad. All I can remember is his nice smile! Hope you feel better soon.

I am off to my 40th Decatur Central class of 67 Reunion next Saturday, 9-22-07. Many good people I am looking forward to seeing. MRS. HAWK

djinindy said...

Hey GB, I wonder if ALL angels look the same? ........ And although the costumes were somewhat brief, I did find them to be very utilitarian in their design. I guess we should all be glad that the "house keeper" didn't show up in one on her day off! ...........

Greybeard said...

For the edification of others-
The "Housekeeper" was a Plus-sized black woman that, in my opinion, was the biggest talent in the cast...
She had a clear, on-target voice that could be heard in downtown Indianapolis!

And DJ... I don't know about you, but I think the foot or so of cleavage she displayed in that one dress was more than enough... agreed?

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that Mr.BoMar LOVED the show....do you think it was because of the acting talent?? Somehow I have an idea it was the costumes and those in them! AND HE WAS FULL OF DARVESET.

Bo

Indy Echo said...

I agree with everything said. It was a great get together. I admit I was a little surprised at some of the scenes. Guess I didn't expect to see that kind of "acting" in Indy.

I have been to lots of Las Vegas shows and nothing surprised me out there. BUT INDY!!!! I wasn't real sure about the verbage. I just hope and kept telling myself he was saying, HOT DAMN.

Shifty, noticed something !!! Naturally. Miss Mona said "one of the rules was No Tattoo's". Did anyone notice that the maid had a tattoo on her boob????? I agree with GB. she was the best of all. Did she remind any of you of Esther Rowles, I think that was her name?. Anyway the mother on that black comedy??? Was it Great Times or something like that?

Bo, so sorry to hear hubby was ill. He sure didn't act like it. Please keep us posted. And I know what you mean about doctors getting back with you. They had my blood medication screwed up and by the time they got back with me two days later it was so out of wack that I couldn't do (anything) for 3 days for fear of internal bleeding. Now try being two or three days late paying your bill and see how fast they dontact you !!!!!!!

SEE YOU ALL OCT. 20TH.

Echo

Anonymous said...

Indy, Man, that Shifty has great eyesight! NO, I didn't notice that the genteel lady had a tatoo...I guess we were just "enjoying her voice"!

Bo