Monday, September 10, 2007

The Royal "We"

"I think we should mow the grass down by the pond."

While she's doin' kitchen chores, Sara Jean likes to look down at the Ducks feeding in the pond, and tall grass at the pond's edge keeps her from seeing their little bottoms bobbing as they feed on the duckweed beneath the surface.

So it's an understandable statement, really a rhetorical comment... a thought just coming off the top of her head, right?

Uhh... nope.

The problem in the statement is the realities of the "Greybeard" world, and the way the word "WE" is used here. I own a big ol' "Zero-turn radius" mower, and an ancient 21-inch push mower. Sara Jean can't/won't operate the "lunar lander"- like big mower, and although she regularly uses the push mower, fear of snakes near the water's edge makes that a "no-mow" zone for her.

So the statement, "We need to mow the grass down by the pond", really means-
"Get off your butt and go mow the grass by the pond!"

When the email came last week from someone who will remain un-named, my vast experience with wife-speak helped me translate it right away...

"We need to add a picture of Vandy to our blog heading."
Ha!
I wrote back, "What a wonderful idea! Go ahead and do that!"
And the person to whom I responded, not knowing "Greybeard-speak", didn't catch the humor in my answer.

I'd LOVE to have a photo of Vandy in the heading of "Vandy's Kids"! The problem is, I don't have the know-how to do it.
At "Pitchpull", there is place in the profile where it asks if you want a display picture, and I presently have a photo of me in the helicopter displayed. The template for "Vandy's Kids" is totally different, and doesn't give you that option. (There wasn't even a place for the Blogroll you see in the left margin, but I jury-rigged one I stole from my own blog and made it work here.)
I've looked through the html language both at Pitchpull and Vandy's Kids, and I just don't see a place where I can get the job done. It's gonna take someone with more computer knowledge than is contained in this gray headed skull to accomplish it.

But I do have a scanner, and I DO know how to use it. So I searched through our yearbook and found what I consider to be one of the definitive photos... see if you agree:


(It'll enlarge if you click it.)
Can't ya just hear him?


"Peeeeeeeple.... Do I have to be a policeman?

Now it's my turn to use wife-speak:
I would LOVE to have this pic, or something similar, permanently displayed in the heading of the blog.

I think "we" need to do that, don't you?!

6 comments:

Purple Tabby said...

GB what do you think of this format? We can go back to the other one but this one will allow a photo in the title,,, I just can't get it to the right size,

Also we would have to add the links again.

I have to get ready for a bike ride but I'll check in later

Anonymous said...

GB, I knew what you were up to knucklehead! The blog looks great by the way.

Don't miss the last comment on "The Notebook" on your way out to mow down by the pond. By the way, do you ever get your mower in the pond like Max does?? Oh, that's quite a test of skill.

Bo

Greybeard said...

Did you think I was referring to you, Bo? Oh my.

PT-
I'm more a "function" than a "form" guy, so the fact that you have Vandy lookin' out at us there is terrific! Some may balk at how "vanilla" the blog now looks... not me.
And I just noticed your sentence-
"Also WE would have to add the links again."
More wife-speak!!?
Good work.

This blog belongs to us all.
Let's hear from everyone...
Whatd'ya think?

The Joker said...

Oh wow!
I like the new look!
When I first signed on tonight, I thought I must be on the wrong blog - well that can't be right. How in the world can I sign on to the WRONG blog! But it's me!!!! - stranger things have happened.

Anyhow, it looks really good.

Greybeard said...

Realized I hadn't answered your question, Bo...

No, I never get the mower stuck, burying it all the way to it's axle, requiring me to find a rope and drive the car down in order to get covered with mud from head to toe while physically dragging it out of the quagmire!

Sorry to hear Max has that problem.

Top Cat said...

GB-Purple Tabby looks great. You did a wonderful job. GB 911 . I was on the golf course in a tournment. Half way through when we got to the clubhouse it was on all the TVs. Just could'nt believe this was happening to us. Can you just imagine how they felt at Pearl Harbor. We'll be there soon. Wish more could make it. We'll I'm on my way to Colorado going Elk hunting with Bow and Arrow be back in about week. See you all later.