Friday, April 24, 2009

24 April 09- Friday Forum

It is Thursday, just before Noon as I start this Friday update. I'm at work today and Friday, and our intent is to start our drive toward Indy Saturday morning. We'll spend Saturday night and much of Sunday with TwoDogs, then return home. Today I'd like to discuss a couple distasteful subjects with you...
Frustration and apathy.

Starting this blog was exciting. Reading blogs had become an important part of my daily routine and it was something I was just absolutely sure EVERYONE would enjoy to the same extent as me. So when PT and I initiated Vandy's Kids I thought the blog would take off and assume a life all its own...
That everyone would jump in and contribute a little, and the only thing PT and I would have to do was stand back and manage the inevitable offensive stuff that would be posted now and then. It certainly hasn't turned out that way, has it?
Again now, don't take me wrong, I still enjoy the blog and the easy communication it affords us. If you're paying attention you can tell I drop in here often... probably five or six times a day, to moderate what's goin' on here. But participation by others has certainly not been what I hoped for, and I'll admit, for me that has been frustrating. Four or five others contribute posts on a VERY infrequent basis. About a year ago I seriously considered giving up on it because it hasn't assumed the "over the backyard fence" atmosphere I had hoped it would take on.
But then I stood back and studied for a while. And a little research showed there are 15 or so folks (more?) who pretty regularly stop by here to read what's goin' on. Out of that number, five or so comment often. The comment section is what convinced me Vandy's Kids was worth some effort... checking in and finding there is that "over the backyard fence" discussion I had hoped for... threads that sometimes run to 30-or-so individual comments, forced me to reconsider. And what I realized was that it takes almost no time for me to write a little blurb every Friday and ask what is goin' on in your life, and generally someone will start a comment thread that takes off. I was frustrated and being self-centered, having my feelings hurt. And for that I apologize.
But having said that I'll ask the followup question:
If you enjoy the blog and want to see it thrive, why don't you water and fertilize it now and then? It takes so little effort!

Now, a slight change of direction-
Our class leaders and those folks involved in Alumni functions were probably nodding their heads while reading the above semi-rant. I've been watching for a sign of life at the

CG Alumni Association website, and at last check it was still dormant. Had I not checked the calendar at the CGHS website, few here would have known there is an Alumni Banquet this weekend.
So your Alumni Association has not served you well lately, to say the least. But before you get angry consider-
What have you personally done lately to try to help keep your class/schoolmates informed of Alumni activities? What have you done to help the Alumni committee to do their job more efficiently? And how much do you think those folks are being paid for the work they do so the rest of us can show up, eat, enjoy, then head back home with a smile?
We're all gulty of apathy, aren't we?

In the last two years a couple things have become really obvious-
For whatever reason, some have no interest in coming back and socializing at CG functions, and that's fine. Those same folks have no interest in coming to VK and sharing here.
But it's just as obvious that many WOULD attend if they had gotten the word. And it takes almost no effort to help in getting the word to class and schoolmates.
Get involved... just a little.

Obviously "Vandy's Kids" can be the backyard fence.
I've said before and I'll say again... it doesn't take much...
When you stop by here, click "comments" and let us know you were here, even if it is just to say "I was here. I'm/We're fine. Hello everyone!"
And that would go a long way to show me that my efforts here are worthwhile!

(Deep breath, shift gears)...
We'll try to arrive early at the banquet Saturday night. I hope to see you there.
Come say hello, please. (I'll be the one sitting with all the pretty gals.)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job GB. Some times it really helps to open up and vent. You have done a fantastic job with VK. I know I have enjoyed it all along. I use to be able to make my own postings. But for some reason as you know for the last year at least I can only post under anonymous in the comment section.

I enjoyed posting my "little ditty's" every so often and got a lot of cute come backs from them. And I'm not sure but (I THINK) I may still hold the record for the most comments to a posting.

GB believe me I know how easy it is to get discouraged when you work so hard on or for something. And you know where I am going here as I have cried on your shoulder a few times so to say.

Shifty and I have had the pleasure of hosting the Annual Mini now for about four years. I have posted on VK, sent out invitations, sent e-mails and made personal phone calls in order to try and confirm who was coming and to try and get others to come. But ya know GB, no matter how much you do some people just won't join in.

And why I don't know. I know that the ones who have attended the mini's and the one's who come here to the blog all talk to the non joiners. We tell them how much fun we have etc. etc. etc. But they just don't seem to be interested or want to join in.

But for the ones who do join in it is worth all your efforts. And again THANK YOU, for creating VK and keeping it alive.

At TC & Sharon's we discussed changing the Harris Annual Mini this year to early September. Let's have some feed back on what the rest of you are thinking.

Looking forward to seeing some of you Saturday at the Alumni.

Echo

Anonymous said...

NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE A WOMAN AS WE ARE ALWAYS THINKING AHEAD

11 PEOPLE ON A ROPE

Eleven people were hanging on a rope under a helicopter.
10 men and 1 woman.
The rope was not strong enough to carry them all.
So they decided that one had to leave because otherwise they were all going to fall.
They weren't able to choose that person.
Until the woman gave a very touching speech.
She said that she would voluntarily let go of the rope.
Because, as a woman, she was used to giving up everthing for her husband and kids or for men in general.
She was used to alwyas making sacrifices and with little in return.

As soon as she finished her speach,

ALL THE MEN STARTING CLAPPING....

Now they say that women are (suppose) to be the weaker sex. Well, in some cases maybe in body but for sure not the mind. Tee-Hee-Hee

Echo

Anonymous said...

I'm here but can't comment right now. Will be back later. GB. have a safe trip. ECHO . . . Ditto . . . September mini ok by me. Just one date for sure tht I still have to check. Later

dj

eyesonhistory said...

Hi Greybeard, I for one have unfortunately rarely visited your blogspot. I wasn't aware of its existance until late last year then I have trouble locating it. How is that for excuses. I am a member of the CGAlumniA board and am the webmaster for its website. I have way to much to offer comment for to do in one blog. So I will keep you up to date on the CGAA and otherthings as it is pertinent to the discussion. ....
that being said....
I have the same dificulties getting post of infor for the site. In fact I can't remember the last request to post. Why ... I have no idea. I can tell you the reason for no updates to the site is that some entity at CG wants to incorporate the site into the CG Site. I was told to wait for a decision as to site's format and some meeting that never occured to do updates. So that is the answer to the "why of no updates".
There is also some hubub as to the lack of the ability to purchase tickets at the door for the Dinner Dance ie...Alumni Banquet. Remember this is a ...dinner... event and is catered so there is a cutoff date for updates to the attendees list for the # that will attend. I agree that we could have issued tickets with no dinner option but we had no way to police that possibity. Last year we had a very large # of purchase at the door tickets which really caused problems with the caterer and some wanting to blame him for shorting the amount of food. It was not his fault as he was not to blame. So this year we decided that all entrys were to be prepurchased..period. Complaints we do not need more of. As with most things are always viewed with 20/20 vision it is the future and foresight that isn't so clear.
As I have more info I will post it. If you have info, pics, etc. to post on the CG Alumni site let me know. The web address is http://centergrovealumniassoc.org So leave me messages here as a blogger or contact me thru the website above. I hope that this helps. Blogging and websites are only as good as the feedback and info given back to them.
-JRS_
Please note that I occasional update my website with CG items. I am a photographer in Gwd. So sometimes I get events to cover connected with CG and I post them to the CG Area.

Anonymous said...

Hey GB,
So sorry you are frustrated with the blog. I enjoy it so much. You are such a terrific writer, I enjoy your blogs very much. Please don't think I'm not interested in my classmates and other VK's. You are all my longest and dearest friends even though I don't get to see you all much. I have very fond memories of my classmates and have missed you all since we graduated in 1965! You are all like brothers and sisters to an only child! HAH! This blog is so important. You have brought together people that love and care about each other. That's a great accomplishment as far as I am concerned!

I wish we could be home for the Alumni Banquet. Since the date has been moved, I have not been able to be there for the past 2 years.

I hope if Echo has her party in September that I will be able to come.

Hugs to all
Bo

Unknown said...

Ditto Bo

Carol

Anonymous said...

1:43 A.M. Sunday morning . . . . . Post Alumni Banquet update, using a famous byline from days gone by at the Daily Journal. . . . . . And a good time was had by all ! . . . .

dj

Anonymous said...

DJ,
Just checked the Blog to see if any remarks on the Banquet had been posted. Happy to hear that "a good time was had by all". I thought of you all last night and pretended I was with you! Not nearly as fun as being there. Did you dance the night away?

Bo

Anonymous said...

GB: Thanks for the Kick in the ... I confess, I'm one of the apathetic offenders...and apologies to all. Winter is the pits for me with my work. Nothing in FL is balanced. Nothing in my life is balanced: tourist season and an ailing Mom, etc. can be overwheling for me at times. Add that there's a serial robber turned murderer last week roaming the streets in my area, just tops my cake! This guy or guys targets older women who mostly life alone. He hits in broad daylight (when least expected), beats up, robs and occassionally rapes the victims. There are at least 10 open cases since February with a murder last Monday. The lady who lives across the street from me was robbed 2 weeks ago...thank GOD she was not at home! It's scary in Paradise!

Echo: I so enjoyed your October Mini and September could work better for me. It would be a relief to get out of Paradise during the Hurricane Season. I'd try really hard to make it!

TC: The Islamorada fishing trip is still on for me & the Captain. I'm trying to get out of making the trip (because it upsets my Mom for me to be away)and the Resort won't leave me alone. But will probably go for the 2 weeks and just wring my hands and stay on the cell phone with Mom & the Resort. Soooo, if you're up for it, open invitation for June 6 -19 at the Drop Anchor Inn. Also, wish I could have been at your shin-dig and hope you & family are doing great!

Apologies to all VK's. Everybody's busy and got "stuff" to deal with.
Fly

Anonymous said...

Bo: Sorry I've not responded to your email from March, hope you had a great trip back from AZ and enjoyed your winter! Wish I could have been at the Beatles concert with you! I'll email...promise!
FLY

TwoDogs said...

GB, Thank You for all of your work toward making VKs work. W/O you, it would have withered and died long ago.

The Alumni Banquet was much fun this year! The band was great. Several of our 'party' even danced. Barb, you did a great job with 'YMCA'. Although a little slow in the uptake at times.. The after party 'party' at Louie's was also much fun. All of the '65ers' were there plus LV and lovely spouse from the class of '63 joined us. In the future, it would be great to see some others show up at VKs and also join us at our mini reunions held thru out the year. Next year will be our 45th. Let's see how many we can talk into showing up at the Alumni Banquet next year. The 'old Gym' was a great venue for this. Lots of memories - for sure! For those who missed it, the old Gym has held up well.

LB, Class of '65, was absent this year. We missed you, Linda. We wish you well!

BWD, Thank You for being a part of the Alumni Committee. The dedication, time and effort that you have put in over the years for the CG Community is very much appreciated by all.

Anonymous said...

Those that work to put on an Alumni Banquet deserve a lot of thanks. Not everyone can do it.