Friday, April 03, 2009

Stark and Wetzel



Rita just celebrated the 11th anniversary of her 39th birthday and like many of us, takes a little walk down memory lane, thinking aloud about growing older. I've been doin' it too... For some reason, Geritol and the ads they ran on TV while we were kids came to mind. What was the problem... "Iron deficiency anemia"? Geritol to the rescue!
Is your anemia "Iron Deficient"? Well, you can still buy the stuff if you know where to look!
Same with Wildroot Cream Oil apparently, if you crave that "greasy kid-stuff" look!

It's a tribute to the strength of advertising that we remember so many of those products that have disappeared from today's culture. Many of their jingles still come to mind.
Why can't I remember where I put my keys? Because those neurons are being used to remember useless jingles from my childhood!

Got a useless childhood memory that would make the rest of us smile?
Share it...
We all need a lift!

5 comments:

Joker said...

Anybody remember Pamper the New Shampoo? I can't remember the year the jingle came out on TV, but I remember the jingle itself:

Pamper, Pamper new shampoo
gentle as a lamb, so right for you.
Gentle as a lamb?
Yes, mamm!

Ok, so I can't remember the rest of it, and I also can't spell - mamm? is it mamam?

Rita said...

You can trust your car to the man that wears the star.

The Big Bright Texaco Star.

Anonymous said...

You know, I really miss those Texaco guys. Every time I go have to pump my own gas, I'm still looking for them. I'm quite dull witted at the filling station these days....every station is different and usually the pump I try doesn't work. I was overdependant and spoiled by those Texaco guys!

Bo

Cissy Apple said...

Geritol was "iron-poor tired blood"...I know because I had that condition for years! How about "Brylcreme...a little dabbledooya" It was "a little dab will do you", but they sang it as "dabbledooya". I remember that due to my fetish for brushing my teeth with men's hair ointment. Then there was "Speedy" who hawked Alka Seltzer.

Richard Wetzel said...

Two commercials for that trip down memory lane.
http://speedwaydaily.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/stark-wetzel-ad.mp3
and
http://speedwaydaily.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/stark-wetzel-ad-2.mp3