Friday, May 15, 2009

Temporary Retirement

Michael Jordan did it.
Brett Favre did it.
So I'm in good company... I'm gonna temporarily retire.
We leave for 9 days in Destin tomorrow, so I'm writing this post on Thursday. You've been where I am, so you know exactly what's goin' on, getting ready to leave home for a few days...
Stop the mail at the post office,
Mow the lawn and take care of other honey-do's around the house.
Pack... what? What part of my "stuff" do I need to take? Over the years we've learned to pack light because once we're in Destin the accepted uniform is T-shirt, cutoffs (or swim suit), sunglasses and sandals. This attire grants anyone access to almost any facility in town.

As usual I'll have my laptop with me and will be posting here if anything unusual comes to pass. I'll also pack camera and cell phone and their associated chargers (someone please, invent a universal charger, reasonably priced!)

Back to the retirement theme...
I really never thought I'd look forward to retiring. I love my job, and COULD NOT IMAGINE how I'd spend all that time not fling-winging around the countryside, transporting the infirm and injured. But these Destin interludes have indicated I'd do just fine with extra time on my hands. The only thing I hate about these trips South is I already dread the thought of packing the car to return home.

We'll be in residence Friday night/early Saturday morning after a quick detour through Pensacola to pick Mom up. TwoDogs and Cinders plan to arrive Monday, so Margaritas, red beans and rice, and blackened mahi-mahi will be consumed. Hugs, laughter, and sharing will be the order of the day.

Alas, I have to be back to work the morning of Monday the 25th, and that means leaving paradise and good company and driving half a day to get back to normalcy. That gets harder and harder each time I do it. It won't happen right away, but it's certainly true that I'm beginning to see light at the end of this tunnel of a career I've selected.
Will retirement be similar to the week we'll spend with TD and Cinders?
I don't know how I'd handle anything so delightful.

Now, TGIF folks.
It's time for Trojan Talk.
Are you settled in, Ferdy?
Any news from the track, Hawkeye?

2 comments:

Hawkeye said...

RE: Indianapolis 500 Mile Track

It has been a busy, rain soaked, fast month of May so far. Many race fans were present last Saturday to witness the pole speed of 224.864 MPH by Helio Castroneves. In the garage area I saw "King" Richard Petty offering a handshake or autograph to fans. Also in this area I saw the "General" Marty Umbarger and his wife. They were there in support of the National Guard car driven by Dan Weldon. A crash in early morning sidelined the National Guard car for Saturday, but was qualified the next day at a solid 222.777 MPH.

I have 4 extra tickets for sale for the 500 Mile Race on May 24th Sunday. We have great seats between turns one and two. You would be sitting with me and my family. My cell phone is 317-441-3865.

Anonymous said...

SAD TROJAN NEWS

Kenny Doss passed away Sat. May 16th at his home. He had been ill for a while. I just returned from the funeral home where many other Trojans were gathered to give their respects. Kenny's sisters, Janet and Joyce were there. I was able to visit some with David Hommel who is Janet's hubby. Also saw Theresa McHargue and was able to visit with her parents.

So sad. Kenny was always a delight in my book. He will be missed.
Sorry to have to send sad news when you all are having such a great time on the beach. I'm thinkin' about you all. It's cold here in Trojan Country so soak up that sunshine and bring some back home with ya.

Hugs to all,
Bo