Friday, September 18, 2009

Greenwood

Ever wonder why towns started where they do? I know many form because of access to resources... water mainly. Some form because the railroad needed water... steam engines had to stop frequently to fill their boilers. Certainly some towns form because of mining... coal, silver, gold, or because they sit on an oil field.

Greenwood seems to have started on an East-West oxen trail. Among the very first settlers was a family named "Smock", who lent their name to the first settlement there... "Smocktown".

The Smocks apparently owned an Inn on the trail. The area was heavily wooded, so a sawmill was another of the first businesses in what is now Greenwood.

The town took another name after it was Smocktown, but that name didn't last long because there was already an Indiana town carrying that name. I think you may be surprised to learn
the name residents had to discard. I certainly was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I mentioned we spent a few days in Destin last week...
Cinders and TwoDogs established a beachhead there on Tuesday. Sara Jean and I left home on Wednesday, then stopped off in Pensacola to pick Nellie up, arriving Destin 2 A.M. Thursday morning. We all had coffee while watching for dolphins on the fine morning that dawned.
Shrimp Creole, Blackened grouper, Red Beans and rice, gumbo, and Shrimp St. Charles met their demise over the next few nights as we frequented "Kenny D's" every evening we were there. (A few Margarita's gave their lives in service to our bunch too.)
Harry and Carol arrived Friday to help me avoid a catastrophe by trying to install a porcelain-covered cast iron sink on my own. (Thanks Harry. After you left I realized how over my head I'd have been without your work!)
I think all are agreed-
We're all better friends now than we were 40+ years ago!


In just a week many of us (Harry and Carol too), will once again gather near Edinburgh for Echo's annual mini there. If you've been before you know what an enjoyable, relaxing time this is. Echo and Shifty have a lovely home with enough room for most to spread out and visit in case of inclement weather, but in years past we have been blessed with clear, cool, crisp weather... perfect for gathering around the large bonfire Shifty builds for the occasion. If you intend to attend, please let Echo know by calling her at 317 729-2440, or toll free 800 974-2441, and coordinate the dish you will be bringing for the pitch-in.
Lawn chairs are necessary. Weiners/buns, marshmallows, and roasting sticks are optional.

I know Hawk and his wife will be travelling so we'll miss them next week. Cissy, Rita, C&C and family will be camping at Loogootee, so once again we'll not be meeting them. (Sara Jean and I hope to stop by Cissy and Leroy's to try Cissy's cheesecake.)

So once again it's open forum time.
I know I seldom get responses to my plea, but I'll continue trying until you guys get it right...
You've got news to share...
We want to hear it.
So share!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not much time right now, will post more later; Look forward to seeing all at Echo's. Sounds like you had an eventful trip ... I need to install a new sink in the kitchen, but I have a fellow who does really good work and is very reasonable on price. I let him do the plumbing stuff and I get the cokes and keep the dog out of the way. Later, dj

Rita said...

OK GB, you'll need to clear this up for me. I thought your email said you were going through Loogootee on OCTOBER 25th.

This sounds like you're talking about next weekend.

Greybeard said...

Sorry for the confusion Rita.
My hearing is slipping away.
I have to squint to read the big print now...
Reading glasses are positioned around the house for anything smaller.
My eyebrows have turned to 10 gauge wire and go any damn direction they choose.
You expect me to be able to differentiate between a little thing like October Vs. September?

As it now appears to stand, I'll be having cheesecake with Cissy and Leroy at their home on or about Sunday, 27 September at 3 P.M. or so. Anyone who wants to visit and eat cheesecake will need to coordinate that through Ms. Apple.
In order to make it easier for all concerned, I'll bring my hearing trumpet.

Rita said...

No worries GB, apparently Cissy's memory or eyesight isn't much better than yours as she was THINKING September and I was READING October.

By 3, we'll probably be on our way back up north. It'll be a big family weekend at our great big family campout. We live over 2 hours away and I have to work the next day, and I'm gettin' old, buddy.

So I probably won't be around, and C&C will probably be heading that way too.

Geez, maybe next time.

Rita said...

Oh, and btw, we never considered ourselves living in Greenwood actually. We were the lowly Smith Valley'ians. Got any history on those folks?

I wished I had appreciated those days more. They were gone too soon.

Greybeard said...

I too considered myself a "Valley Kid" Rita, but my address was "Greenwood, IN 46142"
You had a wealth of info about the Valley living across from you. Agreed... what a shame we didn't make better use of our time back then.

TwoDogs knows much about the history of his family in the area, and as you know there are a couple families that are intertwined and make up a big percentage of that history. His family is one of 'em.

Rita said...

Oh GB, you're gonna make me cry tonight. I loved Ode Perry. He was my grandpa across the road. Maybe not biologically, but he sure was nonetheless.

And let's not kids ourselves here. There was NO 46142 back in those days. Just like it was NOT Paddock Road, at least not by the postal standards of that day.

It was RR # Box ###.

Greybeard said...

Of course you're right.
BUT, it was RR# Box ###, Greenwood, Indiana, right?
And worse than that, when I'm asked where I grew up, I tell them Naptown.
Who would know Smith Valley?

Cissy Apple said...

A guy I work with just built a home in Greenwood, just retired from the gov't, but was recycled as a contractor for my company. I ran into him the other day and told him Greenwood was my old stomping grounds and I graduated from CG. Guess where he built? On Olive Branch, west of Paddock Road!

Small world.

Cissy Apple said...

And GB...what little eyebrows I have left are strong enough to hold up my glasses. When they get long enough to braid, I pull 'em out.

Just wait...next you'll get those wiry nose hairs and ear hairs. But at least it'll keep the flies and gnats out.

TwoDogs said...

The white sand beaches and views of the Gulf in Destin and surrounding areas are truly two of nature's beautiful places. Also, in our opinion, lots of great places to eat - none better than Kenny D's though. We haven't tried everything on the menu yet....., but it continues to be a work in progress. The real draw for us though, is the more than the white sand, the gulf and great food. It goes to the very heart of what VandysKids is all about. As soon as we get back home, we start scheming to find a way to go back. Problem being here is that my Mother In Law wonders what has happened to me. Since I have decided to 'stay working' a little longer, that means I now have vacation that I have to use - so back to Fl we go - but, this time to visit our other family on a different coast. No Kenny D's there, but, they do have several good places to eat. One favorite there is the 'Island Fish Grill' a Key West type of place.

Both sides of my family go way back in the early history of what is now WRT and the Valley. Along the way, the two families mingled and I have more than a few double cousins - mostly second or third removed. It gets complicated trying to explain it and I get confused just thinking about it. Abraham Sells was one of the first white men to actually settle in what is now WRT. Lived for awhile with the few remaining Native Americans along the banks of the White River. My Dad's side (large family) owned and operated the old Valley store. Most were farmers and business owners and some were active in local politics. I have two Brothers who are still very active in politics.

Looking forward to seeing more of our classmates again next week. Always a fun time at Indy Echo and Shifty's place. They work hard at making us all feel very welcomed.

What happens on the balcony overlooking the Gulf in Destin and what will happen next Saturday 9/26 - is what VKs is all about. Come join us...

Be there or Be square!

Anonymous said...

Hello All,

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow Sept. 26.

I sent directions to those who requested them. If any of you need directions or get lost just call 317-729-2440. Shifty will put up signs again to guide you in.

Didn't hear from a lot of you on what you planned to bring so Shifty and I are gonna start cooking tonight. Rest assured there will be plenty. If we have doubles of anything we will all just have to eat more.

This weather is not working to our benefit. (IF) weather permits we still plan on the fire. So bring chairs and jackets. Never know what to expect. If to wet and muddy we will just have to suffer and swap stories around the kitchen table instead of the fire.

Look forward to seeing all of you tomorrow.

Shifty & Karen

PS> If anyone needs a place to roost bring an extra blanket there is plenty of room.

Campers welcome. Can park by the barn and there is electric you can hook up to.