Thursday, October 22, 2009

Vandy's Kids-Class of '71

Last Friday night I was sitting at Buca di Beppo's with 21 other "girls". I haven't seen them in 38+ years. Two were fellow classmates. The rest were from the classes of '72 through '75.

Wow...

I really didn't have the time to go, but I wasn't going to miss this for the world. My son, Mom, and I were leaving for Nashville, TN at 5:30 the next morning. I didn't care--I had to see these old friends. I packed my senior yearbook into the car that morning before I left for work. Leaving from Crane cut off about 20 minutes driving time. I arrived a couple of minutes after the 6:00pm meeting time. There were only two girls there, and I didn't recognize either one of them. That's ok...they didn't recognize me either. But we had a common thread. We were graduates of Center Grove.

Before long, the huge round table was filled with 22 chattering women, all anxious to catch up on the lives of each other. We each took a turn standing, introducing ourselves, and giving a short synopsis of our lives since Center Grove. One had a Phd, one worked at Center Grove, some were retired. I wish I'd written in all down.

Later I asked everyone to go around again, stating the most unusual thing they'd done since graduation. I started, telling the group that I had ridden a camel in the Thar Desert in India. The next two, including the one with the Phd, were "Harley" girls. One of my classmates had ridden in the Goodyear blimp. Another girl was on the verge of producing a children's TV show when 9/11 hit and the plans went south.

Most of us had decided on dessert and coffee, when the waitress brought in a gorgeous cake she said was delivered by a man who requested it be sent to our table. The cake read, "Center Grove Sweeties". We all thought it was the husband of one of the '72 graduates; later we found out that it was a member of the class of '71, and he was "lurking" around to see the reactions. Thanks, Tom!

After cake and coffee, there was an open invitation to Janet's house...but I really needed to get on the road and head back to Loogootee. I think most of them went, and I heard it broke up at 1am. That's almost a slumber party!

Saturday I'm meeting up with my best friend Brenda, and maybe even her folks. I haven't seen her in probably 20-25 years. I can't believe time can go by that quickly. Gosh...I can't wait. I think this is what we both need--a reconnection with the past, and the tearing down of an imaginary wall between us. This blog inspired me to step out and make the effort to find my old friend and my other classmates. Mr. V would be proud to know he was still making a difference in his students' lives.

Above is my class photo from fifth grade--Mr. Stewart's class. My best friend is sitting next to the window behind the tall kid in the plaid shirt. We weren't friends that year, but by 7th grade we were inseparable. If I remember right, this was taken in November. There was snow on the ground. The year was 1963, so this was taken right about the time Kennedy was assassinated...

...46 years ago? Is that really possible?

"Cissy"

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Delightful.
I hope your reuniting continues as well as the class of '65's has, Cissy...
We've just grown closer and closer.
Keep the updates coming. Did you tell 'em to come join us here?

Cissy Apple said...

I've made one pitch, and will make more.

TwoDogs said...

Great Post, Cissy.. I recognize a couple of faces. I also had Mr. Stewart as a 5th grade teacher. Good teacher & good guy - as I remember him. Fond memories of him and my 5th grade class.

By the 5th grade, some of us had begun to establish groups of friends. Sometimes, best friends - but, the person with the title of 'best friend' would change over the next couple of years. Or maybe, we just added to our best friends list. I think that is what I would do. It seemed like it was mostly dependent on other friends and activities that we were beginning to get involved in. Some of my 'early years' Valley friends stayed close, but those relationships changed, as well, over the next couple of years. My first real (ha) 'girlfriend' came that year. Still remember that first 'date' - we sat together on a school bus on the way back from a class outing. I think it was a trip to Westlake. After that, we started looking for opportunities to share a seat on the bus as often as possible. That lasted into the 6th grade and by Jr. High, she was gone - I have only seen her once since then, a long time ago, at a baseball game at the University of Indianapolis.

Early on, on VandysKids, we talked about 'cliques' at CG. The discussion was interesting and of course, some of us had a different perspective of the subject than others. Some said that they didn't really exist - but, they did.. They may not have been called that - but, I suspect that they have always existed. For us, that seem to happen in Jr. High. I think that it is something that kids do naturally - form a 'circle of friends' and then want that circle to be exclusive to them and no one else. When everyone in that circle thinks that way, it becomes a 'clique'. I think that I was to interested in girls to become too 'cliquish'. Is that a word???
As a Class, we tried hard not to be like that. We all had a good Mentor. His name was Vandy.

Again, great post! Great to see you here and we are looking forward to seeing more of your family, friends and former classmates here, as well. Hope to see you at the next mini.

Cissy Apple said...

Glad you enjoyed the post. I had one classmate ask about BoMar Girl. He lived on Bomar Lane in Greenwood and wondered who she is. If Bomar Girl is interested in seeing if she knows this guy, please get with me.

Got to spend the day with my old best friend. In fact her parents came down from Bloomington and spent the day with us too. Her mom even made me a carrot cake since I had told them how the first time I had carrot cake was at their house--and I wondered why in the world anyone would put carrots in cake. Once I took a bit, I realized why someone would put carrots in cake.

This afternoon we parted ways with promises to get together often--maybe as early as a week from Sunday when I return north to pick up my son from the airport.

The "old boyfriend" I was supposed to also meet up with never called back. Guess he stood me up. That's ok.

Greybeard said...

Carrot cake, Zucchini bread, Jalapeno jelly...
If you don't take a chance and put it in your mouth you miss out on a lot of wonderful things, don't you?!
(Leroy's wine was gone LONG ago, Cissy. Your jalapeno jelly is well on its way to being history too.)

The earlier "David" comment was mine, done on my son's computer before I realized he also has a blog and the computer defaulted to his account. So don't be confused... "David" is actually "Greybeard"!

Anonymous said...

Cissy,
BoMarGirl here. You know my BoMar is off Fry Rd. There is another off County Line Rd. SO, if our Vandy pal lived off Fry I probobly know him.

Tell him I lived in the white house that faces west toward the street that runs east and west through BoMar off Fry Rd. The street makes a T at my house and Fly lived across the street on the northwest corner.

I'd like to know who he is too!
Thanks,
Bo

Anonymous said...

Bo: Sorry to have bothered you about your ID. I lived on Bomar Lane off co/line rd. I was in the class of 71 w/Cissy for a few years and I deliver cakes to unsuspecting CG SWEETIES. This should tell you I'm in my 50's but I have a son and daughter in their 30's feel free to get in touch. rtmendel@yahoo.com.