Thursday, December 03, 2009

Eugene Jinks

Sad news arrived this morning from Mr. L.-

(GB), I read the obit of Everett Eugene Jinks' obit in today's DAILY JOURNAL. I taught Eugene in the sixth grade at Center Grove in 1958-59. He lived on Smokey Rd., not far from school. He was a likable kid, and he was one of my special kids. He had a talent of singing. I had purchased a tape recorder, and on occasions, would bring it to school, and play around with it. Everett had a nice voice but would not sing in front of the class, but would sing in the closet with the tape recorder, then come out and we would play his singing to the class. He invited me to his birthday party.
We lost touch but when both of us were older I did get a telephone call from him wanting me to come to INDY to hear him sing in his band. I didn't make it, but now wished I had.

Gene was in the class of '65 for a while and was set back in either our 5th or 6th year. If I recall correctly he had a brother about a year younger named Ernie.
Ron S. and I also had a standing invitation from Gene to come see him at a downtown club, and we had the pleasure of seeing him perform. His band was a Country and Western band, and I remember being impressed with Gene's voice and presence on stage.

As you have more information, please post it in comments here.
He was a good guy. I'm sorry he's gone.

6 comments:

TwoDogs said...

Eugene WAS a good guy. It sounds as if he was doing what he wanted to do in life. Good for him! That is so much what this life should be about. Life is short - make the most of it. Be true to yourself and those you love.

RIP Gene Jinks......

Anonymous said...

Very Sorry to hear about Jinks; I had talked to him several times over the years and always enjoyed seeing him. He was a good soul. He told me that earlier in his music career he had worked his way up to playing as a recording studio musician in Memphis. He had backed up some of the big names on recordings and done quite well. At one point he had a farm with several very good double registered quarter horses. Had shown and enjoyed the horse life very much. He did comment that the 'studio life' was a pretty rough road to go on the long haul, and that he ended up back here playing with his band on the weekends / said he really enjoyed the music that way.
I had often driven past a small blue house and nice little barn with a white fence out on Epler Avenue just a couple of blocks west of old Meridian Street. There was a really nice palomino mare and baby out in the side lot and I wondered who lived there, because the mare was Really nice and kinda out of place. Needless to say, after talking to Jinks I learned that it was his place and his last mare from the old farm. (That's been about 20 years ago / last time I saw him)
I looked in the paper and this is the information concerning viewing and services. The viewing will be Friday 12/4/09 from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00p.m. and Services at 11:30 a.m. Saturday 12/5/09 at G.H. Herrmann Greenwood, 1605 State Road 135 & Olive Branch Road. Condolences may be shared with the family at ghherrman.com
Eugene Jinks RIP

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I didn't sign above.

dj

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to learn that Eugene passed away. I remember in 5th grade that he played his guitar and how good he was even that young. He was a good guy. I'm in Phoenix and can't make the calling or funeral but will leave a message at G H Hermann's.

Love to all,
Bo

Anonymous said...

I went to the viewing this evening and saw Gene. His guitar was on a stand at the head and to the front of the casket, and between his guitar and the casket was a pedestal. On it was a Lifetime Recognition Award from the Central Indiana Country Music Association honoring Gene for his 40 years of contributions to country music.

A young man that looked familiar spotted me from across the room and headed my way. One of those 'he looked familiar but I couldn't place him'. He came up to me and said "I didn't know you knew my dad". As it turned out we knew each other from a common association, his name was Tony and he was Gene's son. I asked him about the Mare and colt and he remembered them by name. When I referred to the Blue house he said that it WAS blue until they put the siding on and that is where he is living now. Small world.

Tony said that Gene had an initial bout with cancer and it had spread to his lungs. There wasn't much to be done by the time they realized it was in his lungs. Everyone seemed to be in fairly good spirits considering the situation. Quite a large group spread through two rooms.

I signed my name in the register and added (CGHS '65') behind it, so we were all there.

dj

the golden horse said...

I am so sorry to hear about Gene.
I think one of the things I remember about him, was his smile.
I am glad he got to spend his life doing what he loved. Bringing joy to people.