Sunday, August 29, 2010

Tryin' To Not Die

I was gonna leave a comment about the bike for Bo and Cissy below, but decided a quick Post in response might be better.
As I've said, actually winning the auction on the bike was kind of a surprise, so I'm still scrambling to try to tie up loose ends.
Back when we were still walking the CG halls I had a little Harley-Davidson Sprint. Years before they passed that now rescinded helmet law in Indiana I bought a helmet and wore it religiously. Pretty amazing to think about that now... a sixteen year old kid with no prompting from anyone else, realizing he needed to protect his head with a brain bucket.
When full-face helmets came out, I was one of the first purchasers. I bought a white Bell full-face and with it's darkened visor, looked like one of the Storm Troopers from Star Wars. I wore that thing for YEARS, then when I sold my 1100 Yamaha in 1984 I stored it in the garage. Other than taking short test-rides on bikes owned by others, I haven't ridden since.

Buying the Guzzi... (by the way, I've learned the double-z's are pronounced like "pizza"... "Goot-zee"), lead me to go take a look at the old Bell helmet out in the garage. To my chagrin, Mickey and Minnie apparently decided that was a pretty good place to raise their family. They chewed the padding and styrofoam shell and made a nest of it inside the solid protection provided by the fiberglass outer-shell. Oh well... I'm sure it's for the best because they have made giant leaps in helmet technology since 1971. (That Bell helmet was designed in such a way it broke collar bones during the accident sequence, and took a great deal of criticism for that fact.)
I was gonna have to buy a helmet for Sara Jean anyway, so now we'll buy two... and color coordinate!

They've also made great strides in other protective equipment-
Armored gloves. Armor for elbows, hips, knees, shins. Footgear.
If you want, you can buy gear and ride like one of the Knights from King Arthur's "Round Table".
When we go to buy I'll have to consider how much of that gear I'll actually wear... it'd be cumbersome and hot in the Summer. But the gear would also provide great protection against some of the horrendous injuries incurred by the folks I sometimes fly to the Trauma Centers in BigTown.

Since I haven't ridden in almost 30 years, (and had no formal training even back then... it was all "school of hard knocks" and I'm sure I learned LOTS of bad habits), I signed up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's 2-1/2 day school. Two birds with one stone... it would teach me the good habits, and upon completion I receive a certificate that I can take to the DMV and receive my Motorcycle Driver's license. I signed up for, and thought I was attending a course this weekend. But at the last minute I got a note from the Course providers informing me the class was overbooked and they were shifting me to my secondary class date... next month. So I've got plenty of time now to carefully shop for whatever protective gear I'm gonna buy for the two of us.

Me... of all people!
I have absolutely no illusions about questions of safety with the bike...
I get to land on dark roads several times a month to pick up bodies mangled in motorcycle accidents. But like most "accidents" I also know most of these could be prevented by the operator, and in those that could not have been prevented the degree of injury certainly would have been mitigated if the riders had been wearing proper gear. (HELMETS, you Harley riders!)

Going through life entails making thousands of decisions about risk on a daily basis. I also regularly transport people who are hurt while in their own homes... (For instance, just last week I flew a 30 year old woman who fell down her basement stairs to the concrete floor below, fracturing her neck.)
So the question is not, "Is riding a motorcycle dangerous?"
Of course it is.
The question is, "Is the danger worth the rewards?"
And my answer to that is, "I think it is."
To all those expressing concern I say, "I feel your love and I'm warmed by it."
I promise we'll gear-up and ride as safely as we possibly can.

Now... another thought...
I know Clint and Bo have a bike. Any other bikers lurking out there in VK land?
Wouldn't it be great to meet somewhere, ride a while, then have a great dinner?
I'm ready. Sign me up!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

GB,
It sounds like you've got your ducks in a row. Too bad that your class was postponed, bummer. Clint took that class too. He had a scooter when he was 13 or so; I think it was like the one in the picture. After he started working he bought a 750 Honda and sold it when Brent was born.

He's a bike crazy man. He's on his 3rd one now. The second bike was totaled because a lady ran a red light when Clint was turning left. He went up on her hood, his helmeted head hit the windshield and then he hit the road (l35 and Stones Crossing). Thank goodness he had on his heavy bike boots. Somehow his foot was slightly wounded but his boot was fine....we never figured that out. He did travel by Ambulance to the hospital, luckily he was only sore and bruised.

That's my story for you today. I know that you'll be safe as possible. Have fun with it GB; I am sure you will.

Bo

Anonymous said...

AND ANOTHER THING.....Clint just asked me to mention to you that he had lace boots in the past that didn't work out very well. The laces got caught on the pegs and he pushed his foot down real hard and luckily the laces broke or he would have fallen over.

He's full of stories...way too many for me to relate.

Bo

Rita said...

Maybe CnC can give you some lessons.

Not many people have so gracefully performed a 180 over the hood of a car, landing on the pavement on the other side all while NOT wearing a helmet OR carrying ID.

"I was just heading to the community pool."

Yes, I do believe my mother dropped him on his head as a baby, although she won't confess to it yet.

Cissy Apple said...

I've got a bike, but don't think I could pedal fast enough to keep up with you!

The worst thing about motorcycles are how invisible they are to drivers of cars, trucks, and semis. I've always been extremely cautious when I pull out of an intersection. I always look at least twice. One morning on the way to work, I did my usual head-twisting before I pulled out onto Hwy 231.

I started to give it the gas, and then I saw him. And he saw me. If I'd continued, he'd have t-boned me right in the driver's side. But he had on the one thing that saved his life...and possibly mine. He was wearing a blaze orange vest over his dark coat. That's what I saw...blaze orange.

I wanted to chase him down and thank him for wearing that vest. It saved his life that day.

Anonymous said...

Cissy,
You are RIGHT ON kid! I was coming up to a turn lane, the car in front of me was black....in back of him was a motorcycle, BLACK and the guy had on a BLACK HELMIT,SHIRT, PANTS AND BOOTS. Luckily I did see him in time and didn't hit him. I've warned Clint and his buddies, especially those with BLACK bikes to wear bright colors.

And Cissy, I think I have a bike just like yours!

Bo

Bo

CnC said...

Yep sign me up G.B. sounds like fun! Rita, someone almost killed me in my service van in July. I got hurt lots worse in that wreck than the bike wreck. I think I'm down to about 3 lives left. The latest on that: The spine doc thinks I have cervical ridculitis and whiplash of the back. The shoulder doc thinks I have a torn rotator cuff, waiting on results of MRI,s